Here's a swing for you to critique...

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Went out for 18 holes this morning, and had the course pretty much to myself. And so, i thought it would be an ideal opportunity to try and grab some video footage of my swing. You'll see something resembling a golf swing if you choose to ignore my beer-gut... :snigger:

Apologies for the distance between me and the camera, it was hard to judge with trying to balance my phone on my bag, so angles might be slightly deceptive but hopefully the critical aspects of the swing can be seen. You might have to go full-screen to get a proper viewing. I've taken side-on and from-rear footage, first with driver and then with 5-iron on a later hole; hopefully these can help pinpoint areas of improvement, and give an indication as to why my iron play off the tee has been so bad of late.

[video=youtube_share;rNVGnldvbkU]http://youtu.be/rNVGnldvbkU[/video]

As I'm pretty thick-skinned, any critique can be as harsh as you like. Don't hold back, you won't offend me. :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There's certainly in that swing I could live with! Especially the tempo

Lacking a bit of oomph through the impact zone is probably all I see, though 'staying down' might help too.

Main miss with Driver a pushy slicel fade? Thin a bit too often with irons?

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
There's certainly in that swing I could live with! Especially the tempo

Lacking a bit of oomph through the impact zone is probably all I see, though 'staying down' might help too.

Main miss with Driver a pushy slicel fade? Thin a bit too often with irons?

Main miss with Driver a pushy slicel fade? Was certainly the case when I had a 10.5 driver, I've gone to a 12 degrees and find I'm much more accurate.

Thin a bit too often with irons? Yep, I do hit my fair share of thinned irons... :(

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Worth trying to get rid of the Early Extension too - the hips moving forward in the downswing. Ih you can eliminate that - and there's a couple of classic drills for it (involving Chairs and Walls and Pockets) - then there should be more room for the down-swing to come through on a better path. Left shoulder shouldn't seem to get so high, though it's the better action of the hips that allows the shoulders to work better.

If you want a Pro as a model, try Lee Westwood. The way he increases his power during the downswing particularly. In Tennis terms, yours is like a Coach hitting a ball to a student from the middle of the court, where what is really wanted is an aggressive return of serve back to the server's feet!

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Well done on posting the vid mate- nice compilation.

Out of personal interest, what do you think about your posture and grip?

Sorry Dave, never got a notification you'd replied...

I'm happy enough with my posture, and grip; the video is a few weeks old now, I've worked on getting my hands further forward on my irons, hitting them better now. :)