Help with my woods

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am really struggling off the tee with my woods I am hitting the ball with a closed club face i only do it with the woods not with the irons is there anything I could do to help it cheers beggsy

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Snap hook james with woods hit my irons great I played a Saturday an Sunday qualifying board comps used my driver 3 times over two days and qualified for both comps it's getting to me really bad

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The shot shape your getting is down the the path being a ways inside to out whilst the face angle is looking a ways left, so there's a fairly big disparity between direction the face is looking & the path the clubhead is moving, quite a big angle in degrees between these two directions.

Could be also that your contact through impact is a ways towards the toe too. (you can get some foot spray, then at the range spray 3 metal, driver face to see where the majority of the impacts are) Shots from the toe through the 'gear effect' will magnify the right to left flight a ways.

It's possible your getting this happening with the 3 metal, driver, as they're distance clubs it's a good deal easy to start over swinging a ways, subconsciously because of wanting 'distance'. (something less likely with the irons so that's maybes why they are pretty much okay)

When there's a ways overswing with these longer clubs, with a decent swing motion that starts the downswing with the lower body as it should, because of the extra distance the club head now has to travel back it's a good ways easy to then get the club stuck behind so it then ends up coming in even more from the inside out to the right & pretty shallow. This with toe strikes the face looking left a ways you get the shots you describe.

I'd get some spray, then next time at the range. With the 3 metal & the driver you can check the face contact. But to get rid of it just make a bunch of 75% swings with both clubs felling you just make a 3/4 length backswing plus feeling the swing shape is more neutral if need be, then the difference in the angle of the face & the swing path direction should end up closer together, so the ball will start & hopefully stay on target.