Help with club face to path

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve always been a natural fader of the ball but I’ve been struggling a lot with a full blown slice which Im struggling to control especially with the driver I used to play a nice soft fade and find fairways now I’m far right every time and when I correct it it’s a straight push left .
So I’ve started trying to work out face to path but a bit confused with it all can some one put into simple terms what the face to path needs to be to be more draw bias I’ve looked at diagrams etc but get lost in it and been told hit the outside of the ball ect but still seem to cut it any advice much appreciated thanks .

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Do you mean a pull left? If so, the adjustment you've made had set the face square to the swing path. Because the ball is going straight left now this indicates that the swing path is to the left. You should be able to correct this by approaching the ball more from the inside. If you do this & keep the relationship between the clubface & the swing path you should get a straight one or possibly a slight draw.

https://www.golftec.com/blog/2016/08/golf-ball-flight-laws/

Ball_Flight_Chart.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Best thing to do is go see a Pro who has a Launch Monitor - GC2, Trackman or Flightscope etc.

I trust you mean '...straight PULL' btw - presuming, from earlier 'far right' comment you are a 'rightee'!

This article might help too. http://www.golfwrx.com/251459/use-the-new-ball-flight-laws-to-understand-your-tendencies/

And it seems to me that 'hitting the ouside of the ball' is likely to exaggerate both a slice OR a pull!

Edit: Beaten to it by MiB - who provides a better diagram too! :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always find my mate has this problem.
He loses so much length that he tries to knock the cover off the ball and his fade becomes a banana.
Tempo is everything in golf .
Path to face is quite simple to explain see MIB diagrams.
But quite hard to put into practice.
Set up everything neutral and swing slowly in the garden using your hands to rotate face pointing to sky at 9 o’clock and square at bottom up to sky at 3 o’clock this will show clubface control.
Matching this to the path is a lot harder and prob does need a lesson on a track man to show you your tendencies.
But ball flight tells you all you need to know.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Set up everything neutral and swing slowly in the garden using your hands to rotate face pointing to sky at 9 o’clock and square at bottom up to sky at 3 o’clock this will show clubface control.

Would this be done standing up straight or bent over in your normal address position ?

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Just check that you are still making a full shoulder turn. It's very difficult to come more from the inside if you aren't completing your shoulder turn. The results you describe can be from an arm/limited shoulder turn swing........It's what I do when I get lazy or start to steer it...........

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would this be done standing up straight or bent over in your normal address position ?
I do it in my normal stance and standing upright as an exercise just to see the clubface moving .
Maybe I should have said leading edge pointing up to sky at adress and clubface to sky standing up.
It’s not really like that at full speed, but you can’t see it at that speed.

I was taught to do this to release the club with both arms straight.
You don’t get time to think at full speed so this is only a drill.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I do it in my normal stance and standing upright as an exercise just to see the clubface moving .
Maybe I should have said leading edge pointing up to sky at adress and clubface to sky standing up.

So if you take your address position and swing back to 9 o clock, where would the toe of the club be pointing?

I'm also confused by ''using your hands to rotate face''

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
So if you take your address position and swing back to 9 o clock, where would the toe of the club be pointing?

As you turn your shoulders, which drag your arms round, the left forearm will naturally rotate. Jus allow it, don't try to keep the face "looking at the ball" but don't let it rotate excessively either. This explained well in "The Plane Truth" by Jim Hardy

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As you turn your shoulders, which drag your arms round, the left forearm will naturally rotate. Jus allow it, don't try to keep the face "looking at the ball" but don't let it rotate excessively either. This explained well in "The Plane Truth" by Jim Hardy

I was asking clubchamp what he meant, not Jim Hardy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

When I first started playing I had a habit of holding the face open .
My pro then had me do this drill which is an exaggeration of what it really is just to show me clubface rotation.
So in normal address position I get the leading edge pointing at the sky 9 o’clock,,square at bottom of arc, and pointing at the sky in 3 o’clock .
Not a lot of turn in shoulders just using small muscles in hands.
I know that sort of goes against what is taught now.
It’s purely a visual aid and did work for me.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When I first started playing I had a habit of holding the face open .
My pro then had me do this drill which is an exaggeration of what it really is just to show me clubface rotation.
So in normal address position I get the leading edge pointing at the sky 9 o’clock,,square at bottom of arc, and pointing at the sky in 3 o’clock .
If you're hitting it consistently straight then dont change anything.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s not really like that at full speed, but you can’t see it at that speed.

I was taught to do this to release the club with both arms straight.
You don’t get time to think at full speed so this is only a drill.

An absolute death move for the majority of golfers.