help to achieve in to out swing

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hello all
Does anyone have any drills – preferably with props – to help eliminate an over the top swing, in order to promote an in-to-out ball strike?

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
there are many drills out there - looking at your handicap - it might be best to go and get some lessons for a local pro. As its probably more than just the swing path.
Need to look at set up, strike, separation, weight bearing etc.

First thing you need to do is video your swing from down the line and face on. This will show you where you're main faults are.

What do you struggle with most? shank? slice? hooks?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH, if you just change your swing path without the correct instruction you could end up with more problems than you started with.

As already been said, lessons are the way forward

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly I have always had regular lessons

The two drills I used to reinforce what the coach was saying were.

1. When you have established the correct swing path place an object, something soft (pipe wrap is good) a few inches behind the ball just outside of the swing line. If you come over the top you will hit the object rather than the ball.

2. (Bit more to help to learn to draw for me) Place the ball on a very tall tee (70mm +) and hit with a 6 or 7 iron.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly I have always had regular lessons

The two drills I used to reinforce what the coach was saying were.

1. When you have established the correct swing path place an object, something soft (pipe wrap is good) a few inches behind the ball just outside of the swing line. If you come over the top you will hit the object rather than the ball.

2. (Bit more to help to learn to draw for me) Place the ball on a very tall tee (70mm +) and hit with a 6 or 7 iron.

Or a house brick, as this quickly indicates a faulty swing :whoo:

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
A drill I've had with my teacher: aim the club face way left at address - 7-iron. I mean way left, 45 degrees or so. Now try to hit target without changing club face angle. Just do half swings to start with, then work up to full swings. Once you've got the feel, start straightening the club face whilst still hitting target, but maintaining the swing feel. Worked for me.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used to want in to out path

Now I have it and have an uncontrollable duck hook a few times a round

Wish I could have my little out to in consistent path back :whoo:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
A plastic bottle full of water with the top off, a couple of alignment sticks and place the ball with the logo pointing at 4 o'clock as you look at it at address.

Take the first alignment stick and place aiming at your target. Imagine a clock face and this stick would be 12 - 6
Take the second alignment stick place on top of the first pointing roughly 10 - 4
Place the bottle of water bottle next to the 10 - 4 stick

The 10 - 4 stick give you the path you are trying to achieve, the bottle of water will let you know if you have achieved it or not.

IMG_3509ws.jpg

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to want in to out path

Now I have it and have an uncontrollable duck hook a few times a round

Wish I could have my little out to in consistent path back :whoo:

Your duck hook, is because you are coming from out to in and closing the face at impact, send the ball left.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Weird, my low left shots came from coming too much from the inside with a closed face, then again they started straight and went way left rather than a left/left shape.

Coming from the inside is good but there are wrong and right ways.

The way I played was hook city, 14* from the inside at times!

Now I’m closer to 4 by trying to come outside to in, it feels like I’m trying to hit a massive slice!