Help required!!!

BanditCountry

Hacker
banditcountry.takeforum.com
I was once upon a time a 12.4 handicap golfer heading towards single figures.
I am now a 15 handicapper heading towards finding a new hobby.
I have had 18 months of suffering. I can't hit an iron.
I know as a first post, this is like walking into a theatre & shouting 'MacBeth', i have devolped the shanks & it has got worse, so bad that i can shank it the other way off the heel!!!
Strangely my driving is very good at the moment & my putting is excellent, until i lose all hope after a few holes!
I am seriously considering giving up the game - i have 9 months more direct debit of my membership to pay. Thats how bad it makes me feel - i'd give up that much money!!
Am withdrawing from more comps than i am playing - its embarassing! Finished dead last in last months medal - 108 on a 72 par course!! Off 15! I have had a back injury which caused me to miss 5months from Nov to April, but i now have a lot more movement in my back tho it can be different from week to week. Any suggestions? That don't cost anything! Just had 4 & 1/2 months off work with back injury, no spare cash!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in no position to advise as a lowly 28 capper but how about only using a 3/4 swing with the irons? Maybe ignore the score and just play a bit more relaxed, swing easier, even though your back is much better it still maybe limiting your swing a little.

I struggle with driver however my irons at the mo are very solid indeed. When my irons are pants I dont play anything longer than my 6 iron.

Get the confidence back, form is temporary skill is permanenet, you must have some to get down to 12.4 before!!

Good luck

BanditCountry

Hacker
Gonna give the course a miss for a week or two & might go to the range & hit irons til my hands bleed - or until i run out of money/balls!
Could be a back related issue but its also now in my head - hit one shank & then its open season. Still making some fantastic recovery shots but you can't save every hole!
3/4 swings not worked so far but will give it a shot at the range.
Anything is worth a try at the moment!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
yep, the mental side is a bitch, I had issues with driving, had a lesson and thought it was sorted, was nailing em then suddenly a few slices crept back and now I darent use the bloody driver :)

Theres loads of good advise on here, if you can get a video of your swing with the irons am sure some knowledgable folks will give you some good feedback

BanditCountry

Hacker
Thanks G1BBO, some valid points, maybe i've set myself too high a standard after a lay off?? Fitness is not what it was, leccy trolley packed up so now pulling, non of which would help yet its the early part of a round that is worst, normally there is a few holes mid-round where the expected 'game' surfaces then vanishes again. Not sure about the video thing tho. My swing has been commented as a bit 'Jim Furyk' yet to me its a perfectly smooth 'Ernie' - not sure i could deal with seeing it just now, that could be the final straw before i take up Extreme Jigsaw Puzzling or similar!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Firstly, welcome to the forum.
Can you tell s a bit abot your game please.
Whats your normal ball flight?
What are your long irons like?
When you shank is it only half shots or full swings too?
If you can film your swing and post it here, it will be a big help, but if not, go and have just one lesson.
Explain to the pro your situation and see what he/she says

BogeyHole

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
how about only using a 3/4 swing with the irons?

My immediate thoughts too.

I'm pretty terrible myself, and have been working on my swing for the last three years, and I'm still crap.

But

There have been two drills which are beginning to show signs of leaving me with something that at least hits the damn wee white thing.

I go on and on about them to anyone who's willing to listen, and I think they might help some people out there - it's got to be be worth a try;

1) Feet together drill.

2) Baseball swing drill.

Together these two have stopped me swaying as much as I can on a bad day, and give me a semblance of a decent strike.

The other thing I keep in my head is the image of Tom Watson's swing.

If you go on youtube and search for the drills you'll find two or three versions of each.

And Tom's 'Secret of the golf swing' is just the simplist image of a great swing I can find.

BTW I asked Leftie the other day if he thought my new swing was slow and smooth. His reply....

'Ummmmmmmmmm.......'

I think that says it all - the swing in my head is NOT quite what I think I'm doing.

:(

GL

Oh, and welcome to the forum - if you ever give up playing, you can always take up permanent residence here.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm lucky, I very rarely shank the ball, however, when I do, it's due to two things: 1) my weight distribution is wrong and 2) I'm trying to hit the ball too hard. The two issues go hand in hand.

I'd suggest going to your practice ground/driving range and take one club - perhaps a 7 iron. Hit shots and try to keep your sternum dead still over the ball and use your arms and shoulders more. Don't try to hit the ball too hard - let the club/loft do the work.

This should stop too much weight getting on your left side too quickly which means that your wrists can't hinge in time so that the clubface is square at impact.

This works for me - I hope it helps you.

And I hope it makes sense...... :mad: :cool: :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my opinion you need a break from the game, ive been there many times, and you try anything in frustration which can normally mean compensating a bad habbit with a bad habbit.

My advise would be have a few weeks break, then get back in with either a "couldnt give a hoot" 9 holes or a lesson.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aaah, the s*anks.... I sympathise! A fear of the shanks is like having putting yips....you just wait for them to happen instead of not even thinking of them.

For my game, shanks used to happen when:

1. Weight on toes.
2. Too close to ball.
3. Flarey right elbow on downswing, leading to big over the top.

It's usually no 3!

Good luck - you WILL find a cure! :D

BanditCountry

Hacker
Wow!
Some fantastic reples!

Am taking a couple of weeks off from playing on the course - will be range time only at the weekends. Gonna try all the suggestions & will let you know.
Have played a couple of shots with feet together in the last few rounds when it is all t*its-up & that seems to work.
I have also read that shanks can occur when you think you are standing to close to the ball & then start moving away & put your weight on your heels & reach for the ball.

Fingers crossed eh?

BanditCountry

Hacker
Thanks for the warm welcome(s).
My Game:
Normal ball flight is usually straight with a touch of draw on a good day, not too high but certainly not low.
Long irons are generally hybrids & usually quite reliable - tho not so much of late. Heel strikes to the left on a bad day!
Initially shanks were on half shots now its on most shots. Was first with a 9 iron about 18 months ago then onto wedges now its infected all clubs bar driver & putter.
Has got worse in the last month or so, hence the desperate plea for help!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Years ago i had a lesson because i was shanking everything. Pro spotted problem immediately after i put every ball into someones garden. My initial takeaway was so inside the line that i had no room to hit the ball. It may not be your problem, but a lesson is the obvious answer to such a severe problem.

Good luck from someone that has been there. :D

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Taking a break from the course is the last thing you should do IMO, you've only just come back! Whacking balls at a range has never done me any favours, can't hit a ball off a Matt consistently, you need a lesson and some time on a pitch and putt course, it's obviously a psychological issue.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
the s's when they come are. for me.
- trying to hit too hard and too fast
- trying to be a bit too clever and steer the ball
- standing too close

ps just read your piece on Chalgrave, surely he's not still using the 'it's all the council's fault' as reason not to repair that road.

BanditCountry

Hacker
Could be the too hard one??

RE: Chalgrave - the access road is a mystery - so many members who could repair it for a small payment! Ironically there is a road being built around the outside of the course to make a reservoir between the old 12th & 13th holes which is sooo much better!

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi BC and welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you give the comps a miss for a while and play a month or so of relaxed friendly banter golf with your mates, 3/4 swings with mid irons not trying to hit the ball hard and get some fun and confidence back matey with no pressure on what you score :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. I feel your pain and like you have gone from 11 with dreams of single figures to 13 (touching distance of 14) and no idea when a good competitive round will ever come around again. I 'm hitting it ok, not got your problem, but can't score. For me though it is the chipping that is my downfall and like you it has infected my brain like a computer virus. Even with lessons and switching to the linear method there is no trust and everything is so robotic. Too much thought and not enough committment so I still hit duffs which goes straight back into the brain and the problem starts again.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am in no position to advise as a lowly 28 capper but how about only using a 3/4 swing with the irons? Maybe ignore the score and just play a bit more relaxed, swing easier, even though your back is much better it still maybe limiting your swing a little.

I struggle with driver however my irons at the mo are very solid indeed. When my irons are pants I dont play anything longer than my 6 iron.

Get the confidence back, form is temporary skill is permanenet, you must have some to get down to 12.4 before!!

Good luck

He talks sense this one...