Help needed - pitching

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Need some help quick.

I'm on holiday in Spain at the.moment and decided to have some lessons whilst I was here and do a bit of work on my game as I have the time to dedicate to it.

I had a lesson on Tuesday with one of the coaches here and he's made a couple of changes to my full swing. Flattened my left wrist a bit at the top,of the backswing, shortened my swing and got me turning hard through on the down swing. its working really well for my full swing.

Everything was fine until Friday now I can't stop shanking my pitch shots. Chipping (5-15 yards) is fine. Anything over that and I flat out shank.

I must have hit 300 balls yesterday and another 300 this morning trying to fix it but recon I shanked 90% of then, the rest I either fatted or thined. Not one clean strike.

It's really p***ed me off because my wedge play has always been my strongest area. Now I can't even hit a basic pitch.

I've checked with a tee peg drill and its definite hosel getting the ball as I take the furthes tee peg out with the swing.

I've tried moving further away, addressing if out the toe of the club. Moved the ball back and forth in my stance.
Nothing seems to work.

I was supposed to play this morning and tomorrow. Cancelled this morning, don't want to cancel again.

Earliest I can see the pro again is tomorrow lunchtime.

Any ideas, I'm at a complete loss of what to try next. Been scouring YouTube for ideas since I got back from the range.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably the most effective fix is another lesson with the same guy, an emergency patch from them will be more robust than a fix from us without seeing your swing.

One way is to avoid pitching, look to do other things like bump and runs with longer clubs and half shots instead with shorter ones.

It will probably be something very simple as a result of the other change your old swings "fix" for pitches no longer works. That little adjustment you did mid swing now results in the hosel hit.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. You're definitly right and I plan to see the guy tomorrow.

It's odd as I can usually work it out, or at least get something to work.

So annoying as I've never really had to work hard on my pitching and for it to break so spectacularly has really put me in a spin.

Chip and runs arn't a great option here. Pretty much all greens are elevated with severe run offs and quick greens. So trying to get it to stop on the green would be almost impossible.

Might head up the range again in a bit and try a few more things.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I suspect in your attempt to flatten the left wrist, you are over active with your wrists on the first half of the backswing.
Try and keep the clubface pointing at the target for at least the first 2 feet of the backswing. That should stop the wrists from rolling/fanning/getting too steep

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think Bob is right, you are probably getting the club too much inside in the backswing and this is forcing you outside on the way down.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that's got me even more confused now. Went up the range to work on this.

Thought I'd just hit some pitches without any changes first. Pretty much dropped every one on the target. 30y, 50y and 70y. No shank in sight.

So hit some irons and drivers with the swing changes in case my old swing had crept back. Checked those and they were fine. So hit some more pitches.

Again no issues whatsoever.

So pleased the shanks have gone but a little worried that I didn't do anything conscious to fix them.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could be right. I tend to get very mechanical when I'm making changes and my swing\tempo isn't as smooth as normal.

This afternoon there was definitely more of a flow to the swing.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Well that's got me even more confused now. Went up the range to work on this.

Thought I'd just hit some pitches without any changes first. Pretty much dropped every one on the target. 30y, 50y and 70y. No shank in sight.

So hit some irons and drivers with the swing changes in case my old swing had crept back. Checked those and they were fine. So hit some more pitches.

Again no issues whatsoever.

So pleased the shanks have gone but a little worried that I didn't do anything conscious to fix them.

I think you hit the nail on the head

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Shanking my wedges crippled my game at the weekend. Just couldn't suss out why. Used to be a strong element of my game as well gggrrrr.