Help! Lob/Sand Wedges

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bear with me folks I am new to golf so will probably ask loads of 'daft' questions along the way. :D..My question arising from my driving range experience today..I was hitting my lob and sand wedges exactly the same height and distance each time off the mats...There must be a difference between these 2 clubs so what is it??!! Which one has the higher loft? I cannot tell looking at them (no degree numbers on them) but my gut instinct is the lob wedge has the higher loft?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most lob wedges will be 58*+ and mist sand wedges are 56*, shaft flex and head technology would depend on overall distance.

How can you be sure they were both exactly the same distance, I would expect 5-10 yards more with the 56 s/wedge over the lob wedge. Don't forget range balls aren't great either and this will have an effect

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
What make and model clubs are they and what do they say on the sole (SW & LW??)?? That'll give us an idea on lofts for starters.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello Oddsocks....I think you have answered my query on which has the higher loft then,the lob wedge.I was hitting the range 'trampoline net' area with them and was little difference in my shots.Maybe the sand wedge a few times did get a few yards on the lob wedge,but that was it a few yards.That makes sense then a 2 degree difference.

On the course I had only been using the sand wedge in bunkers near the greens and lob wedge on the fairway near the greens.So this very similarity between the 2 clubs today tells me it ok to use sand wedge on fairway too.(feel stupid saying that but just being honest/naive)

On the mats today I was getting much more height with these wedges than I have done on the course,dont no if I was doing anything different or it just easier on the mats?

Thanks for your help anyway.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Robobum...these are just my cheap 'back up' clubs that I keep in the garage for when I sometimes play courses away from my own course (where my golf bag/main clubs are)and the driving range.The LW is Dunlop and SW is Top-Flite,both poor quailty I presume.I rarely use them.
My main SW/LW clubs are LW Mizuno MP 58..oops I cant remember my SW make but its better than the Top-Flite.
Cheers

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Golfboy, to confuse if more check the length of the club, my 52* vokey is almost an inch shorter than my 60* Taylor made.

What's worse is the 60* is exactly the sane length ad my 9i

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
lets not forget the shafts.... different make&spec shafts would change the distance, to still on a SW would cause a shorter shot....