HELP! first club set selection

Elliott

Visit site
Hey guys.

Im a newbie and am yet to buy my own set of clubs. Looking around wilson seem to offer the best value for money from what i can see. I've given myself a budget of £200 tops. The best looking sets ive found so far are:

http://www.118golf.co.uk/Golf-Clubs-Golf-Package-Sets/Wilson-Staff/Wilson-U
ltra-MOI-Golf-Set-FREE-BALLS-TOWEL_ct1550bd74pd10802.htm

http://www.direct-golf.
co.uk/golf_packages/wilson/1200_xcg_complete_package_golf_packages/p11202

Any suggestions as to which to go for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds good but tbh after the whole set driver right down to putter, bag the lot for under £200.

For a first set I would advise against that.

Go for a half set, you will pick up the game quicker as having less clubs means you learn:

Distance control
Shot making
Approach play
Short/scoring game shots

With too many clubs too soon its easy to become reliant and not learnt vital skills.

I started with a putter a 9,7,5 and 3 iron a and a 5 wood.

Around the green I remember using all those clubs for different situations.

Also avoid the driver and tee off with long irons and woods. You will benefit as you get better, people who always tee off with a driver do not learn how to hit other things off the tee!

Get a half set and use your imagination to fill the gaps and make your longest club a 3 wood.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sound advice there from Scienceboy, have a look on the For Sale forum here, Golfbidder or Ebay for quality clubs rather than buying a full set of brand new poorer quality ones. I think the advice about not taking the driver on every hole could probably be applied to 90% of weekend golfers :)
If you're not sure what constitutes good value check back here, don't pick up a second hand set of junk cos its cheap, even buying individual good quality clubs would be an option just make sure the shafts are all regular (if you're a beginner I doubt you'll want stiff shafts until you get your clubhead speed up, could be wrong). I've known plenty guys to take up golf and pack it in in frustration cos they kept losing balls, not enjoying their rounds and thought it was costing too much, not helped at all by the fact their clubs were junk (or unwillingness to put the work in), if you scrimp now you put yourself in danger of the same. Its a GREAT but very difficult game to start with, hope you enjoy it, have patience with yourself. If there's a par 3 course near you that might be a good place to start, play and enjoy but don't be afraid of the range and if you can at all get a lesson with a pro its the quickest way to improve starting out. Oh and dont expect to drop a birdie for a year or so :)