Hello all, brand new golfer - clubs question

b19vny

Visit site
Hello all,

Have just taken up Golf at the age of (nearly) 40 and am kicking myself for not trying it earlier!

Anyway, I have a couple of lessons under my belt as well as a dozen or so rounds on a very nice par 3 course (Ramsdale, Notts). I am planning on having more lessons.

I've got a set of Masters clubs mc-z130 and I'm happy enough with the irons as that's mainly what I've been using and learning with.

I am changing the putter soon to a Wilson 8882 as I just prefer the look of plain old 'crazy golf' putters.

So, as I will no doubt be tackling a grown ups course in the not too distant future, I'm thinking about getting a wood (#3 or #5) rather than trying to use the monstrosity of a driver that came with the package. I have 6-SW, 4/5 hybrid, driver and putter.

Any pearls of wisdom from the collective experience of the forum?

I have no visions of glory. I don't have a handicap. I just play with the owd man, our kid, brother-in-law and my own sons for fun at this stage but can see me tagging along on some society days with work and what-not.

Cheers.

Vinny.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

Keep having lessons. Don't stop...even if it's only 4 a year.
Bad habits are hard to break, better not to let them develop in the first place.
My "fault" was having a lesson, playing better/well and leaving it months before going back.
Learn to chip, pitch and putt.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Beware the bug will bite at some stage, this aint a game you can play and forget. Once it bites you will live breath and sleep golf, be warned. :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Beware the bug will bite at some stage, this aint a game you can play and forget. Once it bites you will live breath and sleep golf, be warned. :D

SO true. The only way to escape (should you ever need to) is 100% cold turkey until you can look at a field and not say to your missus "ooh, that would make a great 9 holer!" :eek:

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a wood (#3 or #5) rather than trying to use the monstrosity of a driver that came with the package. I have 6-SW, 4/5 hybrid, driver and putter.

Cheers.

Vinny.

The 'normal' choices are ; Driver, 3w, 5w, 3h. But no single club is more important than the others - it depends on what you hit better, woods or irons.

And your budget.

In your shoes I'd either go for a 3w ( personally I got a nice bargain on a 4w which is easier to hit off the fairway )

or maybe...

Get a pro to cut down the shaft of the driver to make it more playable, then buy a 21 degree ( ish ) hybrid.