Have you ever witnessed a Tour Pro CHEATING in a Tour Event? 54 % Yes

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Having caddied on numerous events on the European Seniors Tour I can safely say I have never seen a player who`s bag ive carried or a player in our group cheat any anyway whatsoever.If a player in unsure about something they may have done wrong they always speak to other players in their group or get an official.Blatant cheating in tour golf is rare and 9 times out of 10 if there is an incident it will be a mistake(which I`m pretty sure is the cause of the Monty incident),saying this not all are saints and there are incidents(Singh)where players do own up to cheating.Theres a very very small percentage that cheat but nothing like 54%.Just a footnote to this back in the day when tour Q school started a senior tour player in recent years mentioned to me that cheating was a big problem and officials had to be very eagle eyed,but nowdays 54% on tour no way!

Tignanello97

Club Champion
Visit site
You reckon the Monty incident can be put down to a mistake......as an experienced caddy could you imagine forgetting the lie of a ball? Maybe it's possible to miss the exact placement but he was a good foot out in a far healthier position. He went from having no shot to being able to go for the green....in my opinion it's impossible to make this sort of mistake.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
With the Monty incident incredibly he forgot to mark he`s ball before he left the course and just assumed it was where he placed it and played it.Daft mistake but I dont think he was cheating in anyway even if he did improve he`s lie.With the Saltman incident apparently he continually placed he`s ball in a different place after marking it on the greens,it wasnt a one incident and he was reported by both he`s playing partners.Anyone who had read Lawrence Donegans`s excellent "Four Iron In The Soul" will remember a scottish pro he calls "The Ballmark Kid" who was banned from the tour for 20 years for marking he`s ball 15 foot closer to the hole in an Open Qualy.Its well known the player was David Robertson who apparently was a real talent and was tipped for the top,cheating didnt work for him.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't think they are saying that there is 54% cheating on your, just that 54% of the caddies interviewed say that they have seen someone cheat on tour.
I cant see that 54% of caddies have seen someone cheat on tour,what do they define as cheating something within or ourside of golf rules? I will say theres a lot of sour grapes for sheer talent.........

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think they are saying that there is 54% cheating on your, just that 54% of the caddies interviewed say that they have seen someone cheat on tour.

That is exactly what it said , & the article was from GM sister mag in the USA , cant remember if it said how many caddies were interviewed or not , id take a few things into consideration here , if 20 caddies were asked then only between 10 & 11 ever saw something, over how many comps & how many rounds of golf tho ? , what type of comps were these? , were some of these guys new on tour & as people say made a genuine mistake rather than cheated (drops etc) of course they should still have been reported no mater what ,

also remember if a caddy seen a guy cheat & didnt report it, he surely is as bad as the guy who cheated as he had an obligation to question or report it .. take the Gmac incident where people (tv Viewer) said his ball moved , when investigated it didnt move off its origional spot , if a caddy seen that he might think Gmac had cheated.. also remember some of the caddies are american :whistle:!! some are total yahoos , & some are just bitter also rans , so i would be inclined to even halve that total to allow for these idiots ..

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Was watching the Humana event on Sky Sunday night. Watched Zack Johnson getting ready to putt from the fringe, when he knelt down beside the ball and gently rubbed the grass back and forth. The commentators immediately picked up on it as "checking the direction of the grain" and questioned whether he had broken the rules. David Feherty came straight back that he was most likely "wiping some light snot off of his hand"..........

Yeah but he was not checking the grain on the green. So it is allowed and not rule breaking as it was first cut he was rubbing his hand on. Oh and Feherty was joking when he said about the snot.