Have a word with yourself

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a good round today. Scored 37 points and didn't blob, played very well except some of the choices I made - Got to our 1st par 5 - hit a good drive, then a pushy shot into the mid rough, punched out and just off the fringe. Went cute and then duffed my chip, then again!
Thought to myself afterwards that I should have bumped and run after the duff. Made another mess the other day when I went left and into a fairway bunker on the other hole. I was about 100-ish yards from the flag, with trees in the way for good measure and a high lip - went cute again and tried to 52º wedge out of there. Hit the lip and into the other bunker then tried to come out and hit the tree. Thought afterwards that I should've chipped it out sideways and try to save par or just bogey rather than double/triple/quad etc. Why do I do these things! I seem to be able to play strategic golf when it's going well but the moment things go bad why the hell do I compound things! How do you caddy yourselves?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it because you don’t set out with a plan in mind for when you’re in trouble. I see golfers make bad decisions all the time especially when their in the trees trying to get it on the green.
I’ve been guilty of this in the past and it’s come to light recently because I have been advising someone who is new to golf.
I am trying to get him to manage his mistakes and course management, science boy laid out a clear plan of how to manage your game it’s in his description.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I had a natter with out greenkeeper after my first rammel round of the comeback, he mentioned that one of the first parts of your game to go when you have not played a bit is the “ touch” game. Gauging distance, roll of greens, club choice, swing tempo etc etc. That said re myself I am not sure me driver comes under that banner. Wednesdays lesson cannot come soon enough.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The duffed chip and bladed 52 weren’t necessarily the wrong choice but you didn’t execute them. If you have good technique for either shot then I’d say you were right, pitching out sideways doesn’t guarantee anything you could have just as easily made a hash of that strategy.

See Padraig Harringtons YouTube channel on how to chip and he’ll explain why you duffed it.

As for the 52 I imagine you had plenty loft to get out of the contact was correct, you have to keep you height but not try to help it out be leaning back/scooping to add loft either.

If you’re in really bad “Jordan 20 trees in front of you” country then taking you medicine and getting out safely is what’s required. But there’s nothing wrong with being aggressive, you just have to commit fully and execute.

Easy game. ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

The golden rule is never follow a mistake with another one. Easier said than done ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If I'm faced with a tricky recovery shot I don't just weigh up the shot, I'm also looking at the possible outcomes if I get it wrong.
You've also got to factor in your actual ability.
I see it many many times.
20+ handicappers ( no names mentioned) trying recovery shots that wouldn't even contemplate the possibility of entering my mind as a viable shot.
Funnily enough it rarely works.
My general rule is if I cant make the shot 5 or 6 times out of 10 it's probably a dodgy call. 7 or 8 out of 10 and I'm going for it.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
If I'm faced with a tricky recovery shot I don't just weigh up the shot, I'm also looking at the possible outcomes if I get it wrong.
20+ handicappers ( no names mentioned) trying recovery shots that wouldn't even contemplate the possibility of entering my mind as a viable shot.
My general rule is if I cant make the shot 5 or 6 times out of 10 it's probably a dodgy call. 7 or 8 out of 10 and I'm going for it.

Come on, you can says it’s Fragger

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The golden rule is never follow a mistake with another one. Easier said than done ?

Golfsidekick on YouTube is very good for this kind of thing. He’s all about playing the percentages when playing handicap golf. Worth a watch for anyone that feels they don’t have a strategy for what they’re trying to achieve.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

“There’s no such thing as a hero shot, only a stupid shot”

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a natter with out greenkeeper after my first rammel round of the comeback, he mentioned that one of the first parts of your game to go when you have not played a bit is the “ touch” game. Gauging distance, roll of greens, club choice, swing tempo etc etc. That said re myself I am not sure me driver comes under that banner. Wednesdays lesson cannot come soon enough.
This was 100% true for me. Was worried about getting the swing back after lockdown, but that's just muscle memory, what you really lose is the judgement on your short game.