Has anyone tried any of the new drivers?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
After my issues with the G430 I swapped it for a Mizuno ST-Z 230....
Picked it up, as well as a 3 wood from the same range, and I've played a couple of rounds with them...
They're good...very good.
Lighter shafts than the ones in the replaced clubs - I'm not going to say I'm seeing massive increases in performance but it's taking much less effort to get that performance
Driver is a 9.5 head set at standard everything......3 wood is 15° turned up to, get this for Japanese engineering, 16.125°:giggle:
Happy with them so far.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Were you getting the snagging effect with the driver or just the 3 wood? Does look like a case where a change of club head shape actually is adapted better to a particular swing.
A truly practical benefit rather that the standard imagined extra few yards so many are looking for.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Picked it up, as well as a 3 wood from the same range, and I've played a couple of rounds with them...
Lighter shafts than the ones in the replaced clubs - I'm not going to say I'm seeing massive increases in performance but it's taking much less effort to get that performance
Driver is a 9.5 head set at standard everything......3 wood is 15° turned up to, get this for Japanese engineering, 16.125°:giggle:
Happy with them so far.

My driver is the STX. Literally just ordered the 3 wood to go with it with the same custom fitting options at a very reasonable £199.

I know Mizuno don’t really market their woods as they do their irons, but they really should. Great options for handicap golfers without paying some of the eye watering costs associated with other manufacturers. I took out a TM Stealth driver for a play yesterday and it was no better for me than my STX 220, despite the significant price difference.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bought a Paradym driver it’s head and shoulders above the Ping imo.
less spin and gone to softer 5.5 Hzrdus silver.

5 wood and 7 wood on order.
she’s going to kill me, but with the price of second hand clubs I will get a fair bit back for my G425 driver and 5 wood.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Really though ? Thinking about it, can that even be possible ? The rules of golf dont allow it to be yet still be legal to play it.
Not just about COR. Forgiveness and spin rates are more important.

I tried Paradym at my fitting but g430 lst was better for me. Going well on the course too.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Happy with them so far.

I love everything about my g425 apart from the noise. I cant bring myself to spend money on a new driver but if I did I would go for that Mizuno STZ. Had a waggle the other day and it looks really nice.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I took the Ping G30 in my spec out on the course last week. Both my pp said I def didn't hit it any further, but it was def more forgiving and the odd bad shot with it was far less destructive. Also hD a shot with a mates stealth 2. It was the stock reg shaft, but was shorter than my m2, but felt nice off the face.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Six weeks in and still loving this new driver. My new club honeymoon period is normally coming to an end about now, but if anything I’m enjoying the club more now than a few weeks ago. It takes a pretty unique driver for me to have the confidence to pull it from the bag on anything other than the widest holes, but for the first time in years I feel like I can thread a needle with the big stick.

Love it.
I've the ST200 and it's a bit of an enigma, it's either fantastic or terrible.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Exactly ! It’s the game not the club. The performance influence some ascribe to the club defies all logic.

I do think the forgiveness and added benefit of draw bias with the ST-X has helped my consistency, though. Consistent ball striking in turn breeds confidence which in turn further aids consistency.

I’m not swinging the club any different to how I was eight weeks ago, at which time I had so little confidence with the driver that it remained in the boot of my car. When it did come out, I was so erratic I was lucky to hit 4/5 of 14 fairways.

Because of the wet ground I was finding I simply couldn’t compete hitting 2-iron off the tee, as I tend to in summer, so bit the bullet and invested in the ST-X after no small amount of research.

I’m still more than capable of hitting a bad pull if I really turn one over, but I really do feel the new club has made a difference - maybe not in terms of transforming my stats through technology, but by giving my confidence an enormous boost.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've given up waiting for every golfer's dream; the ultimate forgiving driver that finds the fairway every time.
And saved a load of money.

When I miss the fairway I just find my ball and place it in the fairway for no penalty.
That's what we all seem to be striving for so why wait and why waste money?