has anyone switched banks recently?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

After nearly 15 years with Santander I'm finally sick of them. Got to visit a branch tomorrow morning to sort out my account then I'm off somewhere else.

Anyone recommend another bank/service?

Cheers
Adam

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I moved from a horrible institution to First Direct.

Excellent customer service over the phone and deposits made by cheque or cash at Post Offices.

Efficient website and modern-thinking company. However, if I had a HSBC branch near me I'd go with them, although they're both the same company.

It's really easy nowadays to move thanks to new legislation. They will ask you for a moving date and all of your regular credits and Direct Debits / Standing orders will be moved to your new bank on the one day, so no fear of missing payments.

£100 for moving!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest you open the new one before closing the old one though! Or at least you have some banking facility available throughout the process. The Transfer process (Direct Debits etc) is (pathetically) still pretty creaky I believe!

Good Luck.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
As an ex bank manager I would recommend first direct (I worked for an opposition bank) as they always come out top for customer service and that is all you are looking for. When things go wrong - they are the best

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bank with halifax have done for over 30 years but as I get paid monthly and the mortgage is paid I haven't been in a branch for over 10 years now so cannot comment on customer service.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I've always banked with Halifax. The mrs recently switched to Halifax & got £100 for doing so. They also sort all your direct debits out so no hassle.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
After nearly 15 years with Santander I'm finally sick of them. Got to visit a branch tomorrow morning to sort out my account then I'm off somewhere else.

Anyone recommend another bank/service?

Cheers
Adam

You telling me you dont get treated like rory or jenson? i was reading this week in fact, that the 3 celebs they used in this campaign for their 1-2-3 account has been the most successful and they have gained over 1 million new customers! Maybe they dont have the infrastructure to cope and have let their old clients down.

If its any help, i moved to RBS about 5 years ago after being an online banker with Smile for years, i missed the personal contact and a few of the counter services, which you could do at the post office, but RBS have looked after me very well. Now have all my kids savings there, mortgage, current account and our business account with them..

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have reopen my HSBC account as I will be spending more time in asia soon , going to swap from santander as I find them slow and the branch opening times 0900 am to 5pm but on Wednesday its 10am opening ???????? , paying in is so slow , they have a different system to other banks .............main reason however is HSBC is a worldwide bank ...............EYB

SimonS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was with Lloyds for 33 years but swapped to First Direct last month.

I signed up for the new account online which only took a couple of minutes then called them to arrange the transfer. The transfer takes about 10 working days and all the S/O's and DD's transferred across with no bother. The only extra bit that I did was to tell my employer the new account details to ensure that my salary ended up in the correct place. My new Debit Card and cheque book arrived about a week before the transfer. on the appointed day the balance from the Lloyds account was transferred across and the account was closed (you can choose to keep it open if you prefer).

As has been said, First Direct customer service is excellent, always UK based, no 'press 1 for... menus' just a real person.

As has been said you get £100 when your first salary hits the account and if you are not happy and leave within 6 months they give you another £100. The first £250 of any overdraft is 0%

In short, the new swap system seems to work and I would highly recommend First direct (and no, I don't work for them!)

Mary

Head Pro
Visit site
First Direct - I've been with them for around 18 years, and have always received excellent service.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I work for one of the Big 4 banks but *whisper it* I have my accounts with First Direct. They offer the best service by a country mile.

The only drawback is the lack of a branch network but that's less and less of a problem these days, and you can use HSBC branches anyway.

D

Deleted member 18121

Thanks for all the input fellas.

I spent over an hour in branch on Saturday morning to be told that my card might be working by Wednesday. Genius.

my first choice had been a switch to first direct. .. so its nice that so many of you have recommended them.

let's see if their 7 day switch really works!

SimonS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The 7 day switch is not actually 7 days. When you ring them to start the switch they will send you a load of paperwork to read. You need to ring them to say that you have received it and it will then be 7 'working' days from then or longer if you choose.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Do you know me and Missis tash have just come back from a fantastic weekend in Warwick and one of the things we mentioned was"do you remember when we swopped banks from the tough **** bank TSB to santander" of all banks.

not really had any problems with them because we have never been overdrawn, but my lad who is rubbish at handling money has had rubbish support from santander.

so much so I was none to impressed when he came home last week to say he had took out a small loan with them. He forgot when they were having his pants down month after month.