Handicap reductions when soft cap activated

Swango1980

Visit site
Of course his new index would be 12.0, as correctly calculated, and it is now outside the soft cap range, meaning that the soft cap process is no longer applicable. I've been only talking about when the new average of 8 of 20 decreases and stays within the soft cap range. In that case, I don't believe the 50% calculation applies to the decrease.
Do you not see the contradiction in your thinking?

You are saying the full decrease applies (I.e. old diff minus new diff divided by 8) IF the overall Index remains 3 over Low Index. Yet, if this decrease brings it back to within less than 3 shots of the Low Index, then you start to reduce the reduction anyway. Which is exactly what you imply can't happen anyway, as you believe the soft cap only has an impact as new scores result in increases to the average 8.

Honestly, I really am not sure what other angle I can take to convince you that your thinking is flawed. I've done my best, and others have also tried.

The implementation of soft cap is mathematically straight forward. Calculated average of best 8 score differentials. If it is over 3 higher than low Index, apply half the increase above those 3 shots. If a new score is submitted into top 8, you do not compare that to one it replaces. You simply calculate the average of the best 8 again, and if higher than 3 shots apply half the value above 3. Exactly the same as you did the first time. If you still remain above the soft cap limit, the the reduction would effectively be half of what it would have been had you been below the soft cap limit.

As I said previously, I'm over the soft cap limit. I expect to go up today as I played another poor round, and tomorrow as I replace another one of my top 8. I'm playing awful, but when I finally shoot a decent score, I'll be able to use my record to demonstrate the point.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you not see the contradiction in your thinking?

You are saying the full decrease applies (I.e. old diff minus new diff divided by 8) IF the overall Index remains 3 over Low Index. Yet, if this decrease brings it back to within less than 3 shots of the Low Index, then you start to reduce the reduction anyway. Which is exactly what you imply can't happen anyway, as you believe the soft cap only has an impact as new scores result in increases to the average 8.

Honestly, I really am not sure what other angle I can take to convince you that your thinking is flawed. I've done my best, and others have also tried.

The implementation of soft cap is mathematically straight forward. Calculated average of best 8 score differentials. If it is over 3 higher than low Index, apply half the increase above those 3 shots. If a new score is submitted into top 8, you do not compare that to one it replaces. You simply calculate the average of the best 8 again, and if higher than 3 shots apply half the value above 3. Exactly the same as you did the first time. If you still remain above the soft cap limit, the the reduction would effectively be half of what it would have been had you been below the soft cap limit.

As I said previously, I'm over the soft cap limit. I expect to go up today as I played another poor round, and tomorrow as I replace another one of my top 8. I'm playing awful, but when I finally shoot a decent score, I'll be able to use my record to demonstrate the point.
The penny has dropped; your interpretation is correct. Thanks for your patience! :)