Handicap question

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Over the last two years - no one under the handicap of 5 has won a Handicap event ,

Last year the same 20 plus handicap Player (?) won all the big Handicap KOs ( didn’t put any cards in outside comps ) , this year he even won a Capts away do with 48 points , didn’t put card in

This year we have someone who is playing off 24 ( was off around 9 before WhS ) How did that happen ? - he has won all the KO’s , seems to not do well in medals but picked up a few board comps

We only had two scratch comps - a KO and club champs , we now have a scratch OOM and hoping to bring in scratch prizes in medals etc
It sounds like an absent or negligent handicap committee.

wjemather

Visit site
Over the last two years - no one under the handicap of 5 has won a Handicap event ,

Last year the same 20 plus handicap won all the big Handicap KOs ( didn’t put any cards in outside comps ) , this year he even won a Capts away do with 48 points , didn’t put card in

This year we have someone who is playing off 24 ( was off around 9 before WhS ) - he has won all the KO’s , seems to not do well in medals but picked up a few board comps

We only had two scratch comps - a KO and club champs , we now have a scratch OOM and hoping to bring in scratch prizes in medals etc
These are huge red flags that are almost impossible to miss; serious questions need to be asked of your handicap committee.

LizAig

Visit site
In (horse) polo you have handicaps but from -2 to 10. Beginners are -2 - best players in the world are 10. It’s a constant argument that they need to have a wider spread of handicaps. Steam of players add their handicap together and then the poorer team will get a half goal or more start. Tournaments are often arranged to teams with 0-4 handicap, 4-8 etc. Men, women and juniors all play together

Asian Dawn

Visit site
There is a handicap system in the Premier League. How else do you explain Manchester United starting Harry Maguire?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I don’t cringe when I see higher handicaps reference to being bad players. In know a 32 handicap who is meticulous in his prep and management of his round. He has zero time to practice. He squeezes every point out of his game. That to me is a good golfer who doesn‘t have the ability of others And that is why handicaps are so great. Abilities a so varied in this sport a and it levels the field.

Off my soap box now (sorry). I play snooker occasionally on weekends like this one and I’m not great but better than my mate. I give him a 20 shot head start as it makes the game more interesting for both of us. Most racing has categories and boxing has weight divisions. You don’t see much of it in sport as we only see elite level but I’ve been given points in tennis and have given others points in squash. Levelling abilities make everything more fun at amateur level.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to play tennis and squash. Both had handicap events. Both were literally a waste of a lot of time. In both sports the best players could hit the ball into the regulation parts of the court nearly 100% of the time and rarely lose a point as a result. The poor players would frequently miss the regulation court (into the net or outside the margins). It would simply be a matter of time before the poor player would accumulate enough lost points to lose the match. Very boring whatever ones skill level.