Handicap + Competition

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Guys, i`m looking to obtain an official handicap, and enter some low level, basic competitions (for the experience mainly) but im not too keen on paying £600 - £800 a year joining and being tied to one club; thought i would seek the world of knowledge in here to see if anyone has any ideas on how i might go about this.

If joining a club is my only option, then i will take that road, but some options would be nice :)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
The best system i.m.o. is to find a public P&P course and pay your yearly fee, then play it as much or as little as you want.
I paid £40 last time, got my h'cap from the 3 cards then played every week at £10 a pop for members (£12.50 non).
Some guys only played 4 or 5 times a year because they travelled from miles away but wanted to be in a proper club for h'cap purposes.

There are some threads on here about the other schemes.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There are plenty online societies out there all too willing to give you an 'official' handicap which is fine however you should watch as that handicap may not be official enough to get you into some open competitions. Most clubs / competition organisers would look for a CONGU club affiliated approved handicap although I can't recall ever being asked to show a cert or heard of anyone else having to. I guess only if you win will they maybe want to see something.

An official handicap is a selling point for clubs now a days, unfortunately some do still come with the big joining fee attached.

If you are after regular medal play then pick a club to join. If you play regular enough then it will be cost effective in the long term.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are after regular medal play then pick a club to join. If you play regular enough then it will be cost effective in the long term.

It's a fair point. If I averaged playing just once a week it would make my green fee about £8. Once I feel I've covered my yearly sub (25 x 18 holes, say) I think it was worth the outlay. I could've managed this by 6 months this year. It IS a lot to pay.....but even the guys who don't play at home a great deal and prefer to nomad around cover their costs.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Medal is stroke play. It just gets called this, as every month there is a monthly medal competition. I guess in the old days, if you won, you got a medal for it. Nowadays you get a pro shop voucher and a bit of sweep behind the bar.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
a medal is strokeplay competition in which your full handicap is deducted from your gross score; lowest net score wins. traditionally a medal was awarded to the winner but in most clubs this has long gone in favour of vouchers for the pro shop - keeping it in the family.

these are usually played monthly between each of the club sections; mens, seniors and ladies. requirements for entry vary between clubs; some insist on a handicap before you can enter, others will allow you to play (but not to gain the prize) in order to get a handicap. some clubs also make entry into say three medals a requirement for entry into the more prestigious club copmpetitions.