Handicap Certificate - other clubs requesting to see it?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just found out that I can get a concessionary rate for sunningdale £85 old, £65 new. One snag, one of my mates doesn't have an official handicap (He plays off 16 in our work society) - when I rang up Sunningdale they simply said it would be fine as long as my friend wasn't a beginner. I'm in no way complaining, but I've read a few of the big clubs asking for it on the website but never asking for it on the day. Does anyone have experience of having to show their handicap certificate to any club they were visiting?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just found out that I can get a concessionary rate for sunningdale £85 old, £65 new. One snag, one of my mates doesn't have an official handicap (He plays off 16 in our work society) - when I rang up Sunningdale they simply said it would be fine as long as my friend wasn't a beginner. I'm in no way complaining, but I've read a few of the big clubs asking for it on the website but never asking for it on the day. Does anyone have experience of having to show their handicap certificate to any club they were visiting?

My mates a pro and he said don’t worry about it, normally your fine. I got him to do me a fake certificate to say I play off 18 just incase lol not spending all that cash to be kicked off

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My mates a pro and he said don’t worry about it, normally your fine. I got him to do me a fake certificate to say I play off 18 just incase lol not spending all that cash to be kicked off

Just seems weird to write that its mandatory and then ignore it. Mind you I've been to courses that don't even enforce the dress code.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seems weird to write that its mandatory and then ignore it. Mind you I've been to courses that don't even enforce the dress code.

I believe it’s just to put off people

Money talks though. Clubs can’t be as fussy these days if they struggling

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's an irritation of mine.
I suspect it's a throwback to the days when being a member of a golf club actually meant something with regard to your social standing.
If you have a handicap you must be a member of a club so you must be the right sort of person that we would want to welcome to our course.
To be fair it also puts off the once a year player who is more likely to perform landscape gardening than playing golf.

If your website/rules state that a handicap certificate is required then do the decent thing and check them.
If you're not going to bother then don't advertise that you will.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Over 30 years playing been asked in 2 places that I can remember, the Belfry and Valderrama, expect in this day and age you will only be asked if not looking and/or acting the part

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Over 30 years playing been asked in 2 places that I can remember, the Belfry and Valderrama, expect in this day and age you will only be asked if not looking and/or acting the part
You're right.
But doesn't that bring us back to the "judging people by how they look" thing..?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Never forget first hole at the belfry brabzon.. wasn’t asked certificate.. starter watching and I topped my 3 wood 40 yards left

He said nothing.. luckily I smashed my 7 iron straight down the middle with the second

My heart was pounding I thought we were going to be invited to play the lesser course

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Every year I go away on a boys trip and we usually play some 'prestige courses' as well as other courses and every year some of the courses state handicap required but I have never been asked though I get one printed just in case.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH i have never been asked for one and played all the open venues in Scotland and a few other top courses you would expect them to ask

D

Deleted member 1147

No wonder those courses are painfully slow, if people who aren’t good enough for them are struggling round 😡

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I doubt there is anything to worry about. Been asked once in 10 years, despite playing dozens of courses that specify certs required. I would be shocked to see any course ask these days.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think I've only been asked twice in 35+ years of playing. Can't remember where. I think as others have said its an archaic throwback but these days if you're not a beginner then they'll happily take the money. Definitely played places like the Belfry where fundy was asked and never had a problem. I wonder how random it is at clubs where it is supposedly in effect

DCB

Visit site
Only ever been asked twice, once at Carnoustie when playing the Championship course, and the other was way back in the 1980s when three of us tried to get a round at a soggy field on the outskirts of Milton Keynes ... We were lost for words at that one ☺

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only ever been asked twice, once at Carnoustie when playing the Championship course, and the other was way back in the 1980s when three of us tried to get a round at a soggy field on the outskirts of Milton Keynes ... We were lost for words at that one ☺

well that doesnt narrow down the MK courses lol

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Old course is the only one that checked for me.

I thought it was put in place so that if anyone was massively struggling on the course and creating a log jam for example, then the pro could ask to check and if nothing state they need to leave the course as it’s a requirement. Guess it’s that just in case point if someone really dug their heels in.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Old course is the only one that checked for me.

I thought it was put in place so that if anyone was massively struggling on the course and creating a log jam for example, then the pro could ask to check and if nothing state they need to leave the course as it’s a requirement. Guess it’s that just in case point if someone really dug their heels in.

Also checked at the Old Course. Bloke in front in the queue turned up without one and was sent away.