Hand on heart

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not me as I am just changing ;) although it will be one of the first things I will be looking for. At my old place knowing them helped me out in match play a couple of times

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The new course - no - not at all to be honest. The old (but still current!) course then yes as they are very long and complex and very often called into question.

Best get reading the card and notice boards at the new place then!

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know mine off by heart
Lumps and bumps on the greens are an integral part of the course relief is not an option
Sand in bunkers between the bricks and rubble is not a moveable object leave it alone!
Any level teeing ground is a bonus
Anyone leaving the course via the oob routes will be rounded up and made to finish the round by the order of the committee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Pretty sure I know ours, even the one that appeared on the notice board a year or so back which says that if your ball goes into the daffodils you must take free relief as GUR.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not all off by heart but always keep a card in the bag and check the board by the first tee for any temporary ones such as preferred lies particular relevant this year!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think I know them all...

Stones in bunkers - movable
Staked trees - relief.
All paths & steps - obstructions
Ball on drainage line - must be moved (dropped at nearest point of relief)

plus winter rules - pick & place within six inches on fairway. relief for plugged lie through the green.

Gonna check now...

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not off by heart but there aren't too many and they are pretty intuitive and much the same as you will find at most clubs. We don't have too many quirks. Play from GUR is prohibited, marker posts are moveable obstructions, constructed/edged paths are IOs and we have some mobile fairway watering equipment which is classed as a temporary immoveable obstruction (funny haven't seen that out for a while :D).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
marker posts are moveable obstructions, constructed/edged paths are IOs

I'm always curious about local rules that simply state what is in the Rules anyway. If it's to help members who don't know the rule, where do you stop before you have reprinted the entire rule book?

Do you know the rationale for specifying these ones at your place, Mashie?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Colin

With regard to the marker posts, these are quite substantial and I suppose having a local rule confirms that despite this they are in fact made to be relatively easy to remove and replace. Bearing in mind the definition of "moveable obstruction" in the Rules I think this helps confirm that you can move them "without unreasonable effort, without unduly delaying play and without causing damage" (e.g. they aren't concreted in) and also that it's Ok to move them bearing in mind that you can have a local rule declaring a movable obstruction to be an immovable obstruction (I'm fairly sure I have played places where such markers have been designated immoveable obstructions).

As for paths, the actual wording is

"Paths which are constructed from sleepers or which have been edged, either by timber or concrete edging, are immoveable obstructions and relief may be taken in accrdance with Rule 24-2.b(i) (the relief ends where the edging ends). Other paths are integral parts of the course and no relief may be taken (except under penalty) .

An LR along these lines has been on and off our card but I think has come back on because some of the made up paths have been re-laid, with carpet replaced by fine compacted shale/shingle, in some cases the edging was also removed in others some edging has remained in place. The shingle also sometimes gets spread by the traffic a bit beyond where the edging is, so I guess it just makes things clearer as to what parts of the path you get relief from.

A quick look through my collection of score cards shows that a local rule along these lines designating "man made", "made up", "artifical", artificially surfaced", "constructed" paths as IO's is fairly common. However there are places where all paths are designated as integral parts of the course and others where only specific paths are designated IOs.

I guess such local rules are there to help to clarify what the status of paths is at the course given the variation and the fact that a construction can be declared an integral part of the Course.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not off by heart but there aren't too many and they are pretty intuitive and much the same as you will find at most clubs. We don't have too many quirks. Play from GUR is prohibited, marker posts are moveable obstructions, constructed/edged paths are IOs and we have some mobile fairway watering equipment which is classed as a temporary immoveable obstruction (funny haven't seen that out for a while :D).

I'm always curious about local rules that simply state what is in the Rules anyway. If it's to help members who don't know the rule, where do you stop before you have reprinted the entire rule book?

Do you know the rationale for specifying these ones at your place, Mashie?

Although our 150 yard markers are moveable, our local rules define them as immoveable obstructions. Perhaps the marker posts at Mashie's were classified as immoveable at some time in the past and the current local rule was introduced to emphasise the change.