Hanbury Manor Advice

TamG123

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

Spending 3 nights at the Hanbury Manor hotel, Hertfordshire and whilst the wife is getting pampered in the spa, I'll be playing a round on their course.

Anyone played it before? Any advice for any holes?

Cheers!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't eat the chilli jelly!!

Four of us stayed there a few years back and my mate Graham and I had a seafood dish with chilli jelly. I should have worried when, although it was cold, it made my lips go numb. During the night I developed a a dose of intestinal hurry. In the morning I met one of the others who roomed with Graham and asked whether he'd had any problems in the night and he just said " the toilet looks like they held a grasstrack meeting in there" that was the most descriptive sentence I ever heard!!

We both were still on the tee 1st thing, and after breakfast!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played there a few weeks ago.

Enjoyable course.

A bit smelly on the back nine from the landfill, expecially if it's a hot day.

I didn't find it especially difficult off the yellows (society of mixed ability). I'm sure it's harder off the whites/championship tees.

The first cut of rough was pretty playable, but the long stuff is lost ball/impossible to move it. Keep out at all costs.

Greens seem to be receptive enough to even mid irons and were not especially tricked up. Some strategy needed off the tee, certainly not a driver on all holes. Some water about which gives you some fun layup/go-for-it decisions.

It's a hotel course though, so it's not really designed to make your day too miserable. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

TamG123

Medal Winner
Visit site
I definitely won't be playing off the back tees, yellows all the way for me!

Sounds like it will be a good and enjoyable course, fingers crossed for some decent weather. I'll remember and stay away from the chili jelly! hahaha

Thanks all

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I quite enjoyed it. Found it pretty touch though they'd kept the rough down so that us hotel guests had a change of getting round in a reasonable time. Could see how they would easily toughen it up and narrow the fairways for the pros.

2 different 9s, and a bit of a trek from 9th green to 10th tee. I found the back 9 considerably easier than the front.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If you've already managed to book your rounds as a deal, then fine.
If you are expecting to just pay a green fee on the day, save your money.
Most Marriott courses cost about £40, but Hanbury Manor is up itself and thinks it's some kind of jewel, and charges £95 :eek:
Nice hotel, though.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Holes are generally pretty nice, played there in the GM qualifier.

I liked the opening few holes and the closing few. Didnt care much for some of the middle holes.

Certainly not one I would pay to play again unless its a big social event.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played it on a society day and though it was OK - you have to go for the green off the 1st tee!

The one hole that I remember was the 17th which has the car park in range for a slice off the tee - aim well left :mad:

TamG123

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well I'm now back home in Edinburgh after our trip down south. (which included the Hanbury Manor stay and golf and visiting relatives)

I played the course (on the 4th Aug) off the yellow's and shot 84 with hired clubs as well! I was very happy with that! I must say, I didn't find it particularly difficult (lucky day perhaps?) but it was enjoyable. The fairways were pretty dry as would be expected given the recent weather but the tees and greens were well watered. I enjoyed the back 9 more than the front nine and thankfully I didn't hit any of the water hazards.

I did have a go for the green on the 1st but almost inevitably I ended up in the bunker at the front of the green!

Still it it was a good round and another course I can say I have played. Thanks for all the advice etc before I played.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad you had a nice time. I played it earlier in the year and thought it was a nice course. Two very different 9 and holes to make you think. Oh and it won me a golf holiday to Vegas so really, I love it there! ha ha