Had my Callaway fitting today

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
And was quite pleased. Will end up getting the Great Big Bertha 10.5º Kuro Kage regular shaft.

Ended up with about 20 more yards from it, my old driver was measured on Trackman roughly 210, this is now getting me +\- 225. I tried the XR, XR Pro with a range of different shafts but neither went as good as the GBB with a stock shaft, so really chuffed. Interesting to see that my swing speed on my current driver was 90mph, the XR was 92, and the GBB was 96mph.

I also asked to see if they can help me close the gap between my Driver and my 4 Hybrid, my 4 Hybrid was measured as 190 yards +\-, so I asked to try some other clubs that will get me to the 200 - 210 mark. I tried a Big Bertha 17º 3 Wood, BB 5 Wood, BB 19º Hybrid and an XR 19º Hybrid. None of these really went as well as my current 22º Hybrid. The 5 wood got me about 5 yards extra but he suggested I work on my fairway wood swing first, he said I have too much of a down swing which is good for irons but robbing me of getting the ball in the air properly so I need to work on more of a sweeping swing for my fairway woods.

Either way, had a great time with Callaway's mobile fitting centre and the guy said he'll be back in the spring again and I can go get fit for some fairway woods. He did say if I want I can always go for the 5W and just work on it in the meantime, so not 100% sure on that one just yet, but definitely getting the GBB and the 52º MD3 Wedge.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had the exact same gapping issue and recently bought an XR 4 Wood, shame you didn't give that a go. It's an absolute weapon. I've never hit FW's well at all, but smashed the 4 wood at a demo day and couldn't resist.

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed the process. When will it be ready?

It's ready straight away since my best fit was a standard stock shaft that's available everywhere. So it's really just a matter of going into my Pro Shop and picking it up.

They're going to mail me the Trackman details so I can go over the clubs I hit yesterday, I'm still undecided about the 5 wood. I hit it much better than my 3 wood, and just the same as my 4 hybrid, but am able to use it as a gap between my 4 hybrid and Driver, it's just a matter of practice with it, decisions decisions.......

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's ready straight away since my best fit was a standard stock shaft that's available everywhere. So it's really just a matter of going into my Pro Shop and picking it up.

They're going to mail me the Trackman details so I can go over the clubs I hit yesterday, I'm still undecided about the 5 wood. I hit it much better than my 3 wood, and just the same as my 4 hybrid, but am able to use it as a gap between my 4 hybrid and Driver, it's just a matter of practice with it, decisions decisions.......

Get a 5 wood. Will suit where you're game is better.

My Pro recommended 5w instead of 3 and it gaps well. Largely because im in the learning journey and my swing can be too steep like yours .

A 5w will five you extra forgiveness as it has more loft. A lot of single figures people I have played with this year rarely have lower than a 4w so, at our level, a 3w is asking too much.

D

Deleted member 21258

I gave up with a 3 wood( (along with 3,4,5 irons) long ago, they are in the shed ! There were all so hit and miss.

I went to tight lies strong 5 wood, strong 7 wood and 9 wood, so nice to hit and kind of normally works with each hit off the fairway or the tee.

And I grip down or swing slighter easier or harder, if trying to get another 5-10 yards out of a club.

Try a cheapish second hand 5 wood and see if you can get more out of it.

Great result on the driver fitting tho, keep toying with it myself.

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Just popped into the American Golf in Monument to try another BB and XR 19° Hybrid and I just could not get it up in the air. The guy did give me a TaylorMade Aeroburner 19° Hybrid and I got on just fine with that one, but not the Callaways, he suggested it because the Callaways are heavier with a lower COG and with my swing they did not work.

Thing is I really like Callaway so not sure if I just hoof it up for one and just practice with it or not.