Had it, lost it, how long?

CheshireJon

Visit site
Hi

After many years I have recently started playing again and was surprised by how I was getting on. I was by no means doing well (odd par, few bogies and a few lost balls) but I was holding my own around a course and wasn't making a show of myself.

So....

I decided to have a lesson and after 30 minutes my stance and swing was completely altered.

Although I know the changes were needed in order to allow me to progress I cannot help feeling frustrated with the step back in striking performance.

I aim to be doing at least 2 range sessions a week maybe three including a lesson - how long do you expect it to take for me to get back to a 'ok' standard?

I was fairly confident recently playing with some old buddies but since my lesson last week i am nervous about getting back on the course and am shying away to the range.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

Jon

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If the pro gave you some drills to work on, keep going with those. You probably will go back before you go forward. If the drills aren't working and you feel you aren't getting it, speak to the teaching pro again and see what he says. Go out, play with your mates, enjoy the company and sod the score. Keep working hard over the winter, and hopefully when the Spring comes you'll be ready to play well and get where you want to get to

CheshireJon

Visit site
Thanks Homer,

I think what the pro has taught me is correct, its just the whole 'change' thing, it takes time and is hard.

None of us like going backwards but i think i need to ignored to go forward, my other technique would prob be ok for the odd knock about but to get where I want to be (circa 15) I need to start again and learn the good habits.

I am going to train my ass off through the winter and hope to be in a good place come 2016.

Plan to go out Sunday for a round so a few ranges this week and we will see how we get on :)