Grips, wraps of tape, glove size

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Suppose this ultimately comes down to personal preference, but are there some good starting points?

Any basic correlation between glove size and grip size / number of wraps of tape?

Other gems of knowledge.... over to the forum

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Suppose this ultimately comes down to personal preference, but are there some good starting points?

Any basic correlation between glove size and grip size / number of wraps of tape?

Other gems of knowledge.... over to the forum

Not per say no.

I wear a medium large glove and build my grips up to 1/32" oversize.

My dad wears an XL glove and plays standard install.

A pp of ours wears a medium glove and plays midsize grips.

If you Google "Ping Grip Chart", that'll give you a good approximation of roughly where you'll need to be.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play a small glove, come up undersize on the ping chart but play midsize grips. I find I throttle the club with smaller grips.
So what I'd say is find a compromise, wether that is building up the grip on the lower hand or throughout the grip.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
only real ways you can get to the 'right' grip size - if the current one doesn't seem to be working.

is to really test out with a session on the LM different sized grips against your current one, then it's a question of having quantified results. plus how it 'feels'. feel to real often a good ways different.

generally a grip a ways too thick will give issues with getting the clubface to 'square' so direction issues plus possibly less than optimum club head speed.
grip too thin can often times lead to a ways too much pressure on the handle, so then good deal of snatching the club away, rhythm issues so contact issues. plus the forearms tense up then the shoulders so issues with the 'turn' to the top.
(some folks with a too thin grip, can also end up a ways too loose hold on the handle, & leading to re-grip at the top so direction issues that ways, or can have excessive hand action & a case of the lefts)

Last edited: