grip

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a playing lesson and the pro reckoned my left hand grip was weak so i tried moving it round to the right with my left thumb pointing more to the left (towards target)rather than straight down the shaft as i had been doing. i can now see three knuckles instead of two and feel the club is more in my fingers than hand. Feels a bit odd but finding it easier to square clubface and getting good results. Thing i dont understand is early on my usual coach said my right hand was strong but never mentioned my left. I worked hard to weaken my right hand and now i am hearing and thinking my left hand grip has always been wrong for me as i feel i need to manipulate the clubface at impact and rely on timing. Has anyone else had similar issue and what is the correct grip for both hands?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
it's very easy to make small changes to the strength of a grip over time - you may well have been changing yours without realising.

there's also the matter of pro's wanting to influence change intially, with a view to dialing back other elements later (possible here)

as to correct - I'm now in the 'what works for you' camp

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm a firm believer that the left thumb shouldn't be down the top (12 o'clock) of the shaft as I consider that far too weak. I prefer the left thumb rotated slightly to the right of the shaft to approx the ...#ahem#... 1.30 o'clock position. As for the right hand I tend to think that is where the main downfall lies as people tend to have that hand tooooo far to the right. If the left is strong then you're OK,... if both are strong then you're dead in the water (not in all cases but certainly the majority).

SamQuirkePGA

Club Champion
www.samquirke.co.uk
Apologies, private joke.

Homer Kelly. The Golfing Machine.

An excellent book for instructors to classify components of the swing. Sometimes gets a bad wrap because it can be difficult to understand.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a firm believer that the left thumb shouldn't be down the top (12 o'clock) of the shaft as I consider that far too weak. I prefer the left thumb rotated slightly to the right of the shaft to approx the ...#ahem#... 1.30 o'clock position. As for the right hand I tend to think that is where the main downfall lies as people tend to have that hand tooooo far to the right. If the left is strong then you're OK,... if both are strong then you're dead in the water (not in all cases but certainly the majority).

Could you possibly give me step-by-step instructions on how to get this grip right? I'm RUBBISH with youtube videos etc and really need things described in baby fashion to me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
Hate that video.... talks a lot of rubbish pertaining to turning the club over (which we've discussed recently as being wrong). I also prefer the club more in the fingers than he stipulates.

devdor

Visit site
this is EASY to follow............Good golf starts with a good grip

[video=youtube_share;vhx4SWasRtE]http://youtu.be/vhx4SWasRtE[/video]
http://youtu.be/vhx4SWasRtE

That video is a good instruction for beginners in terms of grip issue. I too, had grip problems when I was just starting. It may look and sound rubbish to some pro golfers out there, but this guy, I say kudos to his effort.

Last edited: