Grip....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So despite trying not to think technical swing thoughts it's hard not to when I start hitting hooks off the toe as happened today (again). Just couldn't get it sorted on the course and know it's going to happen as can feel the club is wrong at the top - but not why.

So went to the range with a heavy heart and boy the toe of my 7 iron was worn out - caught one only just on the club at all and smacked it into the wooden bay divider :eek:

So I got to the top - wrong place - and slowly brought the club down to the ball whilst seeing what happened. Closed face by about half way down and severely closed at impact. Didn't twitch a muscle and re-addressed the ball and club face totally shut.

I then ensured the club was "neutral" addressing the ball which to me felt somewhat open or at least that the shaft was pointing to my right hip although was probably at belly button. Swung back (WOW it's in the right place) and smacked it straight down the range and was carrying it further than I ever have. Strike was off the middle or even heel side of middle so a radical change there. Proceeded to hit loads of lovely shots with just one shank which was ok as it was confirmation that a huge change had occurred even though it was a simple change in terms of club position at address.

I think I'm onto something - any thoughts??

Also - training aids to really get this grip position ingrained and continually rehearsed to ensure it stays there? I have seen a couple that look interesting and in particular this one as it is aligned to the leading edge of the club and can be used on my own clubs. Any thoughts??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brunton-Inn...N4R2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333469278&sr=8-1

Oh - and forgive me coach for getting a head full of technical stuff again - but it is only ONE thought!!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seen some weird looking things. But they look like some medieval torture thingy. Can't help with training aids never used any or seen the need to sorry.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had this exact same problem about 6 months ago, I knew the club was closing but couldn't understand why, a lesson promptly sorted it out :) I know it may not sound like it would help but the way I fixed it was to take more time on each shot, really ingraining the habit of gripping neutral (although it felt open). I also would put the club down after each shot and readress as if I had just walked up to the ball of the fairway, as sometimes your grip can slip if you just reload on the range after every bad shot, hope this helps :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had this exact same problem about 6 months ago, I knew the club was closing but couldn't understand why, a lesson promptly sorted it out :) I know it may not sound like it would help but the way I fixed it was to take more time on each shot, really ingraining the habit of gripping neutral (although it felt open). I also would put the club down after each shot and readress as if I had just walked up to the ball of the fairway, as sometimes your grip can slip if you just reload on the range after every bad shot, hope this helps :)

Thanks. Range again today and for the first time since my swing went AWOL the hoped for solution remained just that. I think I've been wrong for a while - or going wrong for a while - that is does feel open and whilst right at the top the strike still gives me a pleasant surprise! Had to really really really focus on it each time though and every once in a while pulled one but nothing as bad as it has been. I ordered one of the training aids as I get the feeling this will be something I'll slip back into if I'm not careful. My coach is on holiday but may see one of the assistant pros if I feel the need to confirm and re-affirm what needs to be done. I guess it seems such a basic thing but this has showed me how just being slightly wrong can be so dramatic and downright nasty.