Grip

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys, a quick question from a newbie to the forums.
What is the correct pressure of the grip? My grip seems set up ok but I am having trouble slicing the ball. I think that I tend to grip too tightly and this doesn't allow me to release the club at impact, leaving the face open.

I read somewhere that you should grip like it is a tube of toothpaste, without any coming out? Feels like the club is going to fly out of my hands! I play off 19 by the way.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The toothpaste one would be good if a golf club was 4" long!

I think we all squeeze too hard but you've got to feel comfortable. The more tension you create in your grip, the tighter your forearms get, and this tension spreads into your whole body and affects the swing. Try to imagine casting a line in fishing (if you ever have of course!) and the pressure you would apply to the rod handle. It's quite similar to the wrist pressure you need for a golf grip.

A slice can be caused by more than just your grip. If in doubt, get a pro to check it out for you.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seve use to say hold the club like your holding a bird in your hands?

Welcome to the forum, hop you enjoy it.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
yip liked the video but would not use what he calls the control grip, that was the natural way i gripped but after watching a leadbetter video moved to what he calls the distance grip and it cured(most of the time) my slice that was very bad.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yip liked the video but would not use what he calls the control grip, that was the natural way i gripped but after watching a leadbetter video moved to what he calls the distance grip and it cured(most of the time) my slice that was very bad.

this grip deemed to be the 'DISTANCE' grip is what ive seen every pro tell you how to hold the club. In the fingers not in the palm.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site

this grip deemed to be the 'Control' grip is what ive seen every pro tell you how to hold the club. In the fingers not ion the palm.

in the fingers grip in the video is the distance grip in the video

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couldn't watch this rubbish.......

distance, neutral, control, my backside!!!

I'm with MVP on this.