Grip problem

C

CannyFifer

Only been playing 6 months or so but when i played today tried the overlap grip for the first time and my drives were straight, used the fairway wood 3 times and it was also the best BUT had to change back to the Vardon grip if that is interlocking the right pinky to the left index, after 2 holes for the irons as I couldnt control the club. Can you play with 2 different grips as I played the best i have done with the driver or should I persevere with the overlap for the irons? thanks for any advice.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I.M.O It would probably be better to have one grip for all shots as it will become second nature after a while,chopping and changing could[and i say could]be disruptive and confusing.However the most important thing is that your confident and comfortable in your setup.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
In golf anything you do for the first time feels awkward and difficult to get used to but as Pokerjoke said persevere until it becomes second nature. It doesn't take long for your body to get used to the change.

SharkAttack

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why are you changing? Do you have large hands, because they say interlocking is more for people with smaller hands.

REMEMBER the two greatest golfers of all time (Jack Nicholas & Tiggy) both use the interlocking grip and with a modified version Greg Norman, So don't be in to much of a rush to change if you don't have too.

Shark

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im just reading this post with interest as i would love the Vardon grip i dont feel comfortable with it....I have pretty large hands they measure 7 3/4 inches from wrist to the tip of the longest finger and there thick enough...
I find that with the Vardon grip that my small finger fits in the slot between the middle and index finger of the left hand fine but my ring finger on my right hand sits too much on top of my index finger of my left if anybody can make sense or visualize this :D :D

C

CannyFifer

thanks for the replies and sorry for not replying sooner. i'm following david Leadbetters beginner to winner DVD and now realised i'm not quite holding it right. hopefully will have better luck this weekend as I plan on sticking with the overlap as felt I was opening the face up with the interlock but new to the game so could all be utter nonsense :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice would be go and show a pro how you grip the club. He'll tell you immediately and correct it if its wrong and probably won't even charge you a bean. Once you have the right grip it means you'll make less compensations for things being wrong