Green recovery time.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
This year our greens have been horrendous, normally the good folk of Norwood are quite proud of them but this year. Lordy flippin Lordy. Part of the problem was a fungus which they get and is easily treated. However the sprinkler system broke and for the fungus it was a perfect storm. They were bobbly, uneven. Flippin horrible.
Anyway I played a Sunday round 20 Days ago and one of the lads said “ they will be fine in 2 weeks”. He said they have been treated, sprinklers are working and a good bit of work is planned. I remember thinking yeah right ho. We played on Thursday and Wow, just flippin Wow. The pace was as quick as they have been all year. Running smooth. And they look excellent.
Spoke to out head green keeper and he acknowledged there was nowt they could do til the sprinkler system was up and running but they had a plan in place. Chuffed to bits with them

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Could they not have watered them by hand?

in all honesty ken i have not got a clue, I know whatever they have been spraying on the greens leaves bubbles of foam every few feet. Am just shocked how quick they have recovered. After we returned to golf from the lockdown the course looked superb. Within a month the greens looked poor.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our greens were slit about a month ago and re still very uneven. Not a common occurrence and normally maintenance is a short term pain but the greens come back looking and importantly putting well so not sure what is so different this time

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our greens were slit about a month ago and re still very uneven. Not a common occurrence and normally maintenance is a short term pain but the greens come back looking and importantly putting well so not sure what is so different this time
Probably because the rain has kept the ground temperature down.

D

Deleted member 18588

Bit late to be doing that sort of work.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We normally do our greens work end of August. We get a bit of stick for it due to it still being the playing season but the result is fantastic greens about 2 weeks later and they are great all winter.

We pushed it back a few weeks this year into the second week of september. Got very lucky with the weather and they are now fantastic for the winter.

It is a small sacrifice to do them in during the playing season but you definitely get the reward for winter golf

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Our greens have been tined and heavily sanded about a week ago,
and now , apart from a very slightly less green colour, you couldn’t tell, maybe a tad slower.
They’ll be back to perfection next week, can’t wait to get back on ......... oh wait a minute ??

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Everywhere I play I’m always told that their greens are fast, but they’re never as fast as my own course!

I’m not hung up on fast greens, but I don’t like ‘hitting’ my putter, I’m a stroker ?

As long as they’re true, not bobbly, that is all I ask.

Our greens staff to a great job on our greens which are in play all year round, we’re never on temps unless they’re being worked on.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The 'constantly great' quality of the greens is what keeps me travelling 45 miles to my club. Though value, friendship and (normal) clubhouse environment certainly play their part. Like almost all in the London area, it's clay based, so fairways are liable to get soggy in places, but I love the design/challenge. Only letdown is the bunkers, but I stay out of almost all and there's free relief these days anyway.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everywhere I play I’m always told that their greens are fast, but they’re never as fast as my own course!

I’m not hung up on fast greens, but I don’t like ‘hitting’ my putter, I’m a stroker ?

As long as they’re true, not bobbly, that is all I ask.

Our greens staff to a great job on our greens which are in play all year round, we’re never on temps unless they’re being worked on.

Wasn't it Lee Trevino who said something like "10 is fast, 11 is super fast, 12 is stupid fast". Augusta was declaring 13 at the time. They no longer publish a figure but are estimated at 14-15. The PGA have said on the PGA Tour, greens are routinely 11' – 12'. The USGA maintains that 8.5 is 'fast' for normal play

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
in all honesty ken i have not got a clue, I know whatever they have been spraying on the greens leaves bubbles of foam every few feet. Am just shocked how quick they have recovered. After we returned to golf from the lockdown the course looked superb. Within a month the greens looked poor.
The bubbles of foam are just that - bubbles of foam. They are just markers to show the outside edge of where has been sprayed - and by default, where has not. So the operative doesnt spray it twice. Done pretty much with anything they spray on the course be it greens, fairways or whatever.