Gps

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a gps unit prob a skycaddie 2.5. I know this is going to sound daft but the only thing stopping me is the thought of standing in the fairway, pulling out the gps finding out it's 147 or whatever to the green and then duffing a shot, something we all do from time to time and knowing that my partners are probably thinking "Knob". anyone else experiencing this emotion.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Nope, I don't pull it out with a big flourish, and go 'TaDa! It's 150'. I have it clipped to my bag. Bag down, quick glance, ha, 150. Then *** it 20 yards, and do it again. No one any the wiser.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Its exactly the same as standing in the fairway guessing or pacing the yardage and then twating it 20 yards.
Just quicker......

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont' worry bout it mate ,very often I duff it less than 20 yards and have no doubt that my playing partners have been thinking nd on more than one occassion called me a knob. You get your own back on them when you tell them the wrong distance.

More and more people have got GPS now, and a lot of them including me do duff a lot of shots.

Cheers

Midnight...

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
The times you look like a knob will be easily erased in the instances where knowing the right yardage, leads to a correct club choice, a good swing, and a pin high ball 6 ft left of the hole ;) . These are usually the same instances where Mr No. GPS middles his 6 iron only to find, as his ball plugs in the bunker at the back of the green, that a well struck 7 iron would have in fact been the right choice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree. I'd rather use my SC and have the right club for the shot and then duff it than guess and hit one pure only to find it short or long. From my own experiences people may scoff to start with but they'll soon be asking you for the distance.

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i have to say i love mine, its the one your after, and its so much quicker looking at an accurate yardage then thinking....."its 150 from that marker, maybe 20 yds from here to that, etc etc" go for it m8, you WONT regret it!

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a gps unit prob a skycaddie 2.5. I know this is going to sound daft but the only thing stopping me is the thought of standing in the fairway, pulling out the gps finding out it's 147 or whatever to the green and then duffing a shot, something we all do from time to time and knowing that my partners are probably thinking "Knob". anyone else experiencing this emotion.

I had similar reservations myself recently, but decided to bite the bullet and go buy a GPS - and now those people who I thought would be thinking 'knob' are constantly asking for their yardages (which can earn you a couple of free pints if you haggle well!).

Personally the SC's were a bit too much for me, so opted instead for the Go Planet Mars 100 that I picked up from Amazon for £104. Doesnt do bunker yardages, just the front, middle and back of the greens, however if this is all your after (like myself) then it does the trick. Plus it has a colour display which is an added bonus.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I'm taking my Shotmiser G300 out on Saturday, the first time since September. I just need to remember to do the stats which I always forget to update. I like the feature because I can they check my GIR, FIR, putts and driver distances.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm taking my Shotmiser G300 out on Saturday, the first time since September. I just need to remember to do the stats which I always forget to update. I like the feature because I can they check my GIR, FIR, putts and driver distances.
At Roundhay mate, I'll tell you the distances, you can drive the 6th, 8th and 9th ;) How did your interview go by the way?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Are you allowed to use a GPS during a competition?

I'm thinking about getting the Skycaddie 2.5

There needs to be a local rule in place - basically its up to your Commitee to decide if they want them. I know some don't allow them but I reckon the majority will. Ask the Pro or Asst and they should know