gps systems

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi all,looking for your thoughts on gps systems available at the moment,also do all gps systems need an annual subscription ?

The garmin G3 doesn;t have an annual subscription. I like mine, but can't compare to others, but at least once you have it, you dont need to pay anything else. I would say that 85% of the courses I have played in the last 18 months have been on it, which is about 40 courses.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only gps that needs a sub is the skycaddie but IMO it is worth it as they are the only ones to walk each course and measure it so you do pay for that.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
a lot of people have said the garmin watch is good, and there dead cheap now aswell, although that would depend on if you mind wearing a watch whilst playing

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only gps that needs a sub is the skycaddie but IMO it is worth it as they are the only ones to walk each course and measure it so you do pay for that.

I have been using a Snooper Shotsaver for the last 3 years - no annual subscriptions. This is a quote from their website:

"All golf courses are plotted on foot to ensure maximum accuracy"

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have the golfshot gps app on my iPhone it's awesome comes with loads of extras plus it has absolutely thousands of worldwide courses already preset! At a fraction over £20 it's a bargain

...But you can't use it in competitions. :(

As an aside, I think it's time that the app writers made it clear that their products are illegal for competition use when used on certain devices.
As a beginner I wouldn't necessarily expect MHacker to know this but it should be made clear when apps are downloaded.
It also shows that this knowledge has not reached significant numbers of the Golfing fraternity.

T

thecraw

I also just use the Skycaddie 2.5 which is the bog standard model. No issues with it at all. I've seen the Callaway one being used and it looked decent as well. No idea about others but I'm guessing they're all much of a muchness!

Morecambe hacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
So as a beginner are there any gps or rangefinders that are legal for comp use? Thanks for pointing out my iPhone app is illegal shame they never pointed that out before I parted with my money the robbing sods

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
MH, I use golfshot in friendly rounds and away days, its a good app. In comps I just use the 200/150/100 markers and know most of the layups from using golfshot. Until you are playing regular comps I would stick with it. I am a bit stuck as only sonocaddie have my course mapped and I aint paying 239 quid for one of their gps units

Morecambe hacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
MH, I use golfshot in friendly rounds and away days, its a good app. In comps I just use the 200/150/100 markers and know most of the layups from using golfshot. Until you are playing regular comps I would stick with it. I am a bit stuck as only sonocaddie have my course mapped and I aint paying 239 quid for one of their gps units

Thanks gibbo

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
So as a beginner are there any gps or rangefinders that are legal for comp use? Thanks for pointing out my iPhone app is illegal shame they never pointed that out before I parted with my money the robbing sods

The iPhone app is only illegal due to the iPhone having a compass. The authorities believe this to be an advantge lol

Any purpose built golf GPS unit is fine to use.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

You do need to check whether your club has passed a local rule allowing the use of measuring devices in competition play first. If they have, then you can only use devices that measure distance only ie not gradients, wind strength, compass etc

Chris

Morecambe hacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
You do need to check whether your club has passed a local rule allowing the use of measuring devices in competition play first. If they have, then you can only use devices that measure distance only ie not gradients, wind strength, compass etc

Chris

Ok thanks for pointing this out. Everyday is a learning day so I'm glad I'm starting to pick these things up!
Glad I joined this site thanks lads

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if your after something for free for the iphone, my caddie pro is good, offers stat manager, hole views, shot distance tracker, scorecard and distances to all hazards, but as said not legal in comp use

if your after something cheap as a GPS, i use a mars100, its about £100 with 10 free downloads, additional downloads are $15.00 per 10 so about a quid each. I really wanted a garmin S1 which has no subs and all courses loaded, but i cant play while wearing a watch, so that ruled that out.