GPS on the course

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

I've read a few posts where people mention GPS products they use.

I was wondering which ones you use?

What benefits do you fnd in their use?

Would you recommend them?

Cheers

Timberbonce

Head Pro
Visit site
this isn't going to answer your question i'm affraid but i thought i'd give my opinion on them...i love gadgets and am always thinking of the next thing to buy, but to be honest i think it would take some of the pleasure out of the game. i think club selection and the associated, learning your yardages is a crucial part of the whole learning process as an amature and i think your missing out if you go down the computerised caddy route.
Just my opinion :rolleyes:

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Gill
Just up the road from you at the Crooked Spire.
I use Mobile Gold Scorer which gives projected yardages and calculates actuals; does all the scores, putts etc and then gives a mountain of stats. Reckon it's great

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Homers just got a GPS. Sky caddie I think.

Interested if anyones got the Google map one as well (sorry don't remember the make / brand). Not really a hi-jack just adding to the question, I hope!

What if you've got a GPS intergrated into your phone, is there any after market sofware that you can add to the phone, (pocket pc)? Like you would with road mapping sofware.

D

Deleted member 1147

Hi Sam - are you a member of Chesterfield? I've played there several times - the 10th is a lovely hole.

Some interesting courses in that neck of the woods - Stanage in particular!!

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Sam - are you a member of Chesterfield? I've played there several times - the 10th is a lovely hole.

Some interesting courses in that neck of the woods - Stanage in particular!!
Gill
Played neither I'm afraid but only started playing last autumn. I hear Stanage has quite a strange layout!

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Our pro has a stock of Sky Caddie but is waiting for our club to introduce a local rule to allow such devices to be used on our courses.

My understanding is that the updated Rules of Golf published in Jan 2008 make the use of GPS devices subject to a local rule on a club-by-club basis. If the club has not issued a specific local rule allowing their use, you cannot use them in competitions. Seems like a daft decision to me but that's what they decided to do.

Hopefully our club will see sense and bring in a local rule to allow GPS. If they do, I will certainly be getting a Sky Caddie.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As mentioned on here I use the Sky Caddy (GS5 model). Have to say it is brilliant and has helped me enormously in choosing the right club.

Having gone back through my Scoresaver 2 stats (another invaluable piece of kit and great value at £40 - you may get a discount if you PM SS2 on here for an online code) almost every approach I missed was short. It is a commonly held belief at our club that some of the yardage markers are wrong (Sky Caddy confirmed this) and when the flag is at the back of some greens it can be almost 2 club difference

I use it to practice with to measure my distance with each club (both into and down wind) so I've got an accurate reflection of how far I do actually hit it. I also occassionally use the "mark ball" feature to measure my drive if I have spanked one.

Our club do not allow them in competitions but all I did was get an old yardage chart and went out on each hole and measured various reference points and then wrote down the distances to the centre of each green and how far to and to carry the hazards (ditches, bunkers, ponds etc). Once I had enough detail for each hole I just bought a new yardage chart and copied my notes so they are neat and ligible. Now when I play competitions I still have all the information to hand.

I have heard good things about the Caddy lite as well and I thing Medwayjon is an advocate. Unfortunately my course isn't mapped and they couldn't give me a date for when this would happen which is what influenced me into getting the Sky Caddy. I would recommned it to anyone.