GPS apps / phone use in competition

bighairydel

Visit site
I know this year they have changed the rules so that range finders are allowed in competitions but just wondered if you're allowed to use your phone with a gps app during comps?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends on the app.

Basically anything that tells you what club to use or gives you distance based upon elevation would not be allowed.

Simple things like standard GPS such as hole19 are fine

Common examples of uses of equipment that are allowed and not allowed during a player’s round under this Rule are:

(1) Distance and Directional Information.

• Allowed. Getting information on distance or direction (such as from a distance-measuring device or compass).

• Not Allowed.  Measuring elevation changes, or Interpreting distance or directional information (such as using a device to get a recommended line of play or club selection based on the location of the player’s ball).

• Not Allowed.
 Processing or interpreting playing information from the round (such as club recommendations based on current round distances), or Using any physiological information recorded during the round.

bighairydel

Visit site
Ah ok, the app I use has a google map that I use for distance to hazards etc but it doesn't recommend clubs etc. Would that be ok?

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm under the impression that because your phone/device can give you weather and wind info as well that it is NOT allowed in comp? Regardless of whether you use those apps or not you are using a device capable of giving you all sorts of info well beyond front back and middle of green/hazard distance.... that's my understanding anyway

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm under the impression that because your phone/device can give you weather and wind info as well that it is NOT allowed in comp? Regardless of whether you use those apps or not you are using a device capable of giving you all sorts of info well beyond front back and middle of green/hazard distance.... that's my understanding anyway

That was the ruling at one time but is not the current one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does the club still have to have this as a local rule for competitive play? I would assume most have adopted the suggested example and allow DMD's for most normal club events but are they still banned in opens etc

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Does the club still have to have this as a local rule for competitive play? I would assume most have adopted the suggested example and allow DMD's for most normal club events but are they still banned in opens etc

No, rule 4.3a(1) allows players to use a device that measures distance only. Though the committee may adopt a local rule prohibiting there use.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm under the impression that because your phone/device can give you weather and wind info as well that it is NOT allowed in comp?
Normally such apps simply report information from a nearby weather station. That is permitted. With respect to jim8flog, it always was but was misunderstood so the authorities had to issue a clarification.
What is not permitted is the device actually measuring or gauging the conditions (including gradient/elevation).