Google Maps / Android Auto

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, and plenty of it. You can pre-download maps on your home wifi then disable mobile data, but you won't get live traffic updates.

https://www.allconnect.com/blog/how...ut in reality, Google Maps,you're on the road

It uses next to no data

But in reality, Google Maps uses virtually no data compared to the other apps on your phone.

On average, Google Maps uses around 2.19MB of data for every hour you’re on the road. For comparison, Spotify uses the same amount of data to play a three-minute song. If you have a 1GB data cap, it would take you over 457 hours of driving with Google Maps to reach your limit.

RichA

Visit site
https://www.allconnect.com/blog/how...ut in reality, Google Maps,you're on the road

It uses next to no data

But in reality, Google Maps uses virtually no data compared to the other apps on your phone.

On average, Google Maps uses around 2.19MB of data for every hour you’re on the road. For comparison, Spotify uses the same amount of data to play a three-minute song. If you have a 1GB data cap, it would take you over 457 hours of driving with Google Maps to reach your limit.
Just checked my data history. Google Maps has averaged 0.5 GB per month over the last year; only the browser and YouTube have used more. I've driven about 15,000 miles in that period.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just checked my data history. Google Maps has averaged 0.5 GB per month over the last year; only the browser and YouTube have used more. I've driven about 15,000 miles in that period.

google maps chews through data on my phone

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Half a GB a month, is very very low usage of data compared to watching a YouTube video

What with what contracts throw at you

60gb this phone

My upgrade is 150gb

I use less than 15

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which SatNav have you got? I have the Amundsen in my Skoda Superb, and it's nowhere near as good as the TomTom I was using previously. No speed cameras and not as easy to use. If anybody knows how to put Speed cameras on my Amundsen, it would be greatly appreciated.
Amundsen, same as you. I had a portable Garmin for years and it was brilliant. I don't know why skoda, and others, don't go to garmin, pay the money and use their gear. Even get their tech people a gamrmin and tell them to copy it. The Amundsen is clunky in comparison and the lack of POI's is really poor.

Have you looked on briskoda for the speed camera question? I'd have thought you would be able to add it to the sd card somehow but it isn't something I've ever tried.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Amundsen, same as you. I had a portable Garmin for years and it was brilliant. I don't know why skoda, and others, don't go to garmin, pay the money and use their gear. Even get their tech people a gamrmin and tell them to copy it. The Amundsen is clunky in comparison and the lack of POI's is really poor.

Have you looked on briskoda for the speed camera question? I'd have thought you would be able to add it to the sd card somehow but it isn't something I've ever tried.
You can add it via an SD Card EXCEPT Skoda have now taken away the SD Card slot from the latest Skoda. There is a USB-C socket, but apparently that doesn't speak to the SatNav. My search continues.............

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Of no help to you, but my Superb has got the Columbus system - which I really like. Never had any issues with it at all? (But I'm given to understand its rated pretty well compared to the Amundsen set up). Buy a new Skoda perhaps ? ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely half a gig a month is not a problem?? My old contract was 4gb a month data and that was tiny. When I upgraded I got 30gb for almost no extra money. 0.5gb isn't crippling anyone?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely half a gig a month is not a problem?? My old contract was 4gb a month data and that was tiny. When I upgraded I got 30gb for almost no extra money. 0.5gb isn't crippling anyone?
Could it be @RichA is surprised at using so little data? I agree, 0.5gb is nothing. Apparently it is what I average each month at the moment, before using Google maps.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of no help to you, but my Superb has got the Columbus system - which I really like. Never had any issues with it at all? (But I'm given to understand its rated pretty well compared to the Amundsen set up). Buy a new Skoda perhaps ? ?
Change car or use free app ?. I'm with you but I doubt my wife will be ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just checked mine. The most I used was 0.5gb and that was a month where i worked more often than other months

RichA

Visit site
Someone asked if Google Maps uses mobile data. The fact that they were asking the question suggested to me that maybe they are a person who doesn't have a massive data allowance.
There are still plenty of monthly plans with only 1 or 2 GB of data for light users.
I made an assumption that they were a light user, in which case 0.5 GB might be significant.
Not making assumptions, but most of the older guys and girls I know aren't downloading 20-50 GB of data per month on their smartphones.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Someone asked if Google Maps uses mobile data. The fact that they were asking the question suggested to me that maybe they are a person who doesn't have a massive data allowance.
There are still plenty of monthly plans with only 1 or 2 GB of data for light users.
I made an assumption that they were a light user, in which case 0.5 GB might be significant.
Not making assumptions, but most of the older guys and girls I know aren't downloading 20-50 GB of data per month on their smartphones.
However your words were "yes and plenty of it " yes I'm being pedantic but 0.5gb a month isn't plenty of data

Sorry I'm just grumpy ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see what you're getting at, but honestly, the contracts they offer nowadays you'd be silly to only take 1gb, you can usually get at least 5gb for only pennies more. I think anyone who's savvy enough to use Google Maps regularly would probably have at least a couple of gb. The people you're talking about are probably still using Tom Toms they bought ten years ago. :p

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see what you're getting at, but honestly, the contracts they offer nowadays you'd be silly to only take 1gb, you can usually get at least 5gb for only pennies more. I think anyone who's savvy enough to use Google Maps regularly would probably have at least a couple of gb. The people you're talking about are probably still using Tom Toms they bought ten years ago. :p

Tell you what on that note. Depends where you go

O2 refresh offer awful data allowances as a basic .. same with others

But for example I just went affordable mobile

£39 a month , free phone 150gb data (was offered nothing else) 24 month contract

If I went to O2 they wanted 36 month deal with refresh only and 1gb data would be same price

Con artists

Upgrade my wife's phone with bt .. £41 a month for a Samsung s20 Fe

Affordable mobile using ee (same network) £33 a month with more data (not much more)

But still

Always punishing those who don't shop around

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tell you what on that note. Depends where you go

O2 refresh offer awful data allowances as a basic .. same with others

But for example I just went affordable mobile

£39 a month , free phone 150gb data (was offered nothing else) 24 month contract

If I went to O2 they wanted 36 month deal with refresh only and 1gb data would be same price

Con artists

Upgrade my wife's phone with bt .. £41 a month for a Samsung s20 Fe

Affordable mobile using ee (same network) £33 a month with more data (not much more)

But still

Always punishing those who don't shop around
Yeah, I have always said that on the other phone threads. Upgrading with your actual provider you get shockingly poor offers compared to the independent websites. For me it was basically same price, same phone but 5gb vs 30gb. ?

RichA

Visit site
Totally agree with everything that's been said. I treat all our conversations on here as chat down the pub - take any advice offered but do your own due diligence. Having said that, and making no assumptions about the friend who asked the question, many older folks I know are using 5 year old phones with either PAYG or cheap SIM only deals, that often have paltry data allowances.