Google Maps / Android Auto

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The satnav on my car is pretty average and following updates the saved locations sometimes get bumped slightly out of sync. I've started to use Google maps via Android Auto and can see some big advantages to it.

Any tips on using it that will save hassle, tips you have discovered over time that make it easier to use? I've done some online searches but they tend to be a bit dry and the best bit of tech advice I've had over time has been from real people.

One slight annoyance, unless someone can tell me otherwise. I started to group locations into lists, ie dog walks, golf clubs etc, but quickly discovered that only favourites show as saved in Android Auto, making the grouped lists pretty useless. If anyone can tell me I'm wrong on that it would be appreciated ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I agree with Chris, you're wrong ?

You should be using Waze, better live updates and because it is user community based you get notifications of speed traps, potholes, stopped cars, temporary roadworks etc.

RichA

Visit site
The satnav on my car is pretty average and following updates the saved locations sometimes get bumped slightly out of sync. I've started to use Google maps via Android Auto and can see some big advantages to it.

Any tips on using it that will save hassle, tips you have discovered over time that make it easier to use? I've done some online searches but they tend to be a bit dry and the best bit of tech advice I've had over time has been from real people.

One slight annoyance, unless someone can tell me otherwise. I started to group locations into lists, ie dog walks, golf clubs etc, but quickly discovered that only favourites show as saved in Android Auto, making the grouped lists pretty useless. If anyone can tell me I'm wrong on that it would be appreciated ?
I've been exclusively using Google Maps for navigation for years. Based on what you've said, my main tip would be to not bother storing favourites and making lists.
"OK Google, navigate to..." has not failed in as long as I can remember. It's designed to be as intuitive and simple as possible and, unlike Siri, who is utterly useless, it actually works.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been exclusively using Google Maps for navigation for years. Based on what you've said, my main tip would be to not bother storing favourites and making lists.
"OK Google, navigate to..." has not failed in as long as I can remember. It's designed to be as intuitive and simple as possible and, unlike Siri, who is utterly useless, it actually works.
Okay, thanks. I'm so used to saving and grouping things together it seemed the automatic thing to do. I'll go back and untick things ?

RichA

Visit site
I used to have dozens of saved favourite places until I figured out it just makes it more confusing.
We Generation X-ers are so used to cataloguing our records, tapes, books, etc. At least we'll know what to do if the cloud ever implodes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
@Lord Tyrion you're lucky, my built-in satnav is in Japanese (this isn't a racist thing) all maps (& the voice) think I'm driving round a city somewhere in Japan (I think its a port city given the amount of time I spend driving in the sea) that'll be the grey imports for ya I guess

I just use google maps (usually via a whatsapp location pin) for any trips I'm not familiar with, sorry not much help

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with Chris, you're wrong ?

You should be using Waze, better live updates and because it is user community based you get notifications of speed traps, potholes, stopped cars, temporary roadworks etc.
I searched online reviews and topical countdowns for phone satnavs, and most of them all rate Google Maps as better than Waze. Their main reason was that Waze takes you on some weird back-road routes I think. I haven't really tried Waze, my missus said she used to use it and went back to Google anyway, so I've stuck with Google so far. I suppose the other advantage of Google is that such a sheer number of people have it that the traffic data should be pretty accurate. I think Waze relies on people actively reporting traffic incidents.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I searched online reviews and topical countdowns for phone satnavs, and most of them all rate Google Maps as better than Waze. Their main reason was that Waze takes you on some weird back-road routes I think. I haven't really tried Waze, my missus said she used to use it and went back to Google anyway, so I've stuck with Google so far. I suppose the other advantage of Google is that such a sheer number of people have it that the traffic data should be pretty accurate. I think Waze relies on people actively reporting traffic incidents.

However! (as found the other day) google arent always quick to update

I checked the m25 coming to my course for my mates it said closed.. I was like OH crying out loud everytime i get them over the m25.. they wont let me live it down

turns out that was the night BEFORE and nothing to do with the day.. still was saying it 2 days later (night closures) no effect on the day what so ever

that is minor coding issue of course and a rare exception

I do like the google alternative routes however it dont always keep up with the back roads .. it says 30 mins slower than I go another way and end up quicker than the first route

RichA

Visit site
I tried Waze but found the constant stream of info and cartoon style graphics annoying. I think it's owned by Google so it's Google Maps plus all the user notifications, rather than just the actual traffic updates.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
However! (as found the other day) google arent always quick to update

I checked the m25 coming to my course for my mates it said closed.. I was like OH crying out loud everytime i get them over the m25.. they wont let me live it down

turns out that was the night BEFORE and nothing to do with the day.. still was saying it 2 days later (night closures) no effect on the day what so ever

that is minor coding issue of course and a rare exception

I do like the google alternative routes however it dont always keep up with the back roads .. it says 30 mins slower than I go another way and end up quicker than the first route
To be fair it's a free app that you don't even need to install, so I think taking that into account it's pretty good. Never going to be perfect maybe, I know sometimes it predicts 30 mins if there's traffic on the last part of your route, but by the time you end up getting there the traffic is gone. But then again you'd rather it gives you a high estimate and you get there quicker than the other way round wouldn't you?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried Waze but found the constant stream of info and cartoon style graphics annoying. I think it's owned by Google so it's Google Maps plus all the user notifications, rather than just the actual traffic updates.
Yeah I remember my wife using it and another Waze user 'invited her for a coffee' or something. I thought that was a seedy and weird feature to put in when we're talking about complete strangers here.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair it's a free app that you don't even need to install, so I think taking that into account it's pretty good. Never going to be perfect maybe, I know sometimes it predicts 30 mins if there's traffic on the last part of your route, but by the time you end up getting there the traffic is gone. But then again you'd rather it gives you a high estimate and you get there quicker than the other way round wouldn't you?

Well no because it said 2 sections of the busiest road in England was closed and the journey would be 3 hours instead of 45 mins lol

Infact on our journey home from work other day (I was going in) my mate had to sit in 406 traffic because Google said it was best route as M25 closed

It wasn't lol same issue

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well no because it said 2 sections of the busiest road in England was closed and the journey would be 3 hours instead of 45 mins lol
I'm sure that was a one off. I know one of my mates said there were huge problems on the M25 on Friday as he nearly didn't make it down for our cup final.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure that was a one off. I know one of my mates said there were huge problems on the M25 on Friday as he nearly didn't make it down for our cup final.

It was about a week's worth of time , which considering their trying to kill off sat navs they need to make sure their info is real time

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes Waze does use Google maps so in theory the traffic updates should be the same. Big plus for me though is the user notifications especially police speed traps.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Which SatNav have you got? I have the Amundsen in my Skoda Superb, and it's nowhere near as good as the TomTom I was using previously. No speed cameras and not as easy to use. If anybody knows how to put Speed cameras on my Amundsen, it would be greatly appreciated.