Golfsmith file for chapter 11 protection .....

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
with golf courses closing at an alarming rate .......

and with
Tiger probably realistically unlikely to play a major role anymore in terms of results, is he really goin to put himself on the tee box goin forwards for the next couple years?

TaylorMade's future still not known .... up for sale .... no news of any firm takers ?

Nike out of the golf equipment business ?

the portents for the future of the Golf Industry don't appear to be in that good a shape?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...for-bankruptcy-with-sport-s-popularity-fading

D

Deleted member 18588

Size of the potential market for the game (course and equipment) has been massively over-estimated since the late 80's.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
The TM sale will be announced in the coming days I think. It's already leaked that Jason Day is off to Nike clothing, but rumours are he is staying with TM for clubs which would indicate deal is imminent.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Size of the potential market for the game (course and equipment) has been massively over-estimated since the late 80's.
This is exactly correct. The mistake the golf industry is making is that it continually compares the current state of the industry with the late 80's boom. This was a very rare peak not experienced before or since and the like of which we are very unlikely to see again. Unfortunately it provided unrealistic expectations for the market which cannot be met and we are still seeing the consequences to this day with stories like this, course closures and manufacturers in difficulty. You could now be forgiven for thinking the golf industry is small. It isn't but we need to be more realistic and work to today's numbers and trends and forget about where it once was.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The US market is in turmoil for sure, I've noticed a reduction in green fees when looking at course in Florida for my upcoming trip. I've seen courses were 2 years ago the green fee even on a deal was $90 with it now around $40.

D

Deleted member 18588

The US market is in turmoil for sure, I've noticed a reduction in green fees when looking at course in Florida for my upcoming trip. I've seen courses were 2 years ago the green fee even on a deal was $90 with it now around $40.

The same is true in the UK, perhaps even more so.