Golfing lessons for a gift

Squeaky McFlossy

Visit site
Hello, everyone.
I'm after some advice and I'm brand new on here. I have to confess that I'm not a golfer, but my other half is......or wants to be. He used to play a few times a year, but hasn't played in probably four years. He has been hinting at golfing lessons for a couple of months now, so I would like to get him some. But I don't know where to start and what is the best.
Firstly, I do apologise if this has been asked before.

A few basics, if it helps to know these things:
He's in his mid 50's and a complete an utter amateur, and completely out of practice.
He does "slice" the ball, I am informed, but has bought himself some second-hand clubs that promise to correct it.
The lessons must be in the Leeds (West Yorkshire) area as he doesn't drive.

I am assuming that gold courses and lessons have closed/stopped due to lockdown, but he's very much a fair-weather person, so he would unlikely to take lessons until Spring/Summer time, anyway.

I'm just wanting the best advice, opinions or recommendations. What do I look for? What do I avoid? How many lessons should I get? How much am I looking at? Anyone had lessons and can share tips or advice?

I have absolutely no idea where to start, and I am assuming they are quite expensive, so want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks in advance.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A local driving range may have an attached pro or two, these are usually very accessible and provide a good service if you don’t need what a course pro offers.

I use a driving range pro and they are brilliant for my needs.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Joe Feather at Leeds Golf Centre (Wike Ridge). Excellent pro (there are others there as well if he doesn't suit). They also have good facilities, including covered teaching bays so weather and time of day is not as much of a factor

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My brother-in-law bought me a one hour lesson as a Christmas present. Can't review it as I haven't bothered trying to book it yet (since we're in lockdown) - but I can tell you he's got it from Virgin Experience Days.

Alternatively I'm sure you could just contact a few local golf courses to you and simply ask them whether you can buy a gift voucher for a lesson, or three lessons or whatever.

Squeaky McFlossy

Visit site
Thank you, everyone for your suggestions.

Joe Feather at Leeds Golf Centre (Wike Ridge). Excellent pro (there are others there as well if he doesn't suit). They also have good facilities, including covered teaching bays so weather and time of day is not as much of a factor
You can also buy a group of 3 lessons up front and get a discount. I would suggest a set of 3 lessons to start with, and then the pro will be able to advise how often subsequent lessons should be.

Thank you, this sounds ideal! Just what I was after.