Golfers Elbow very bad timing.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
According to Google I have Golfers Elbow.
I have had it about a month,i believe I got it through bench pressing
and a lot of golf practice.
Talk about bad timing just as my season is getting going.
I thought it would pass but this morning whilst shopping I nearly
fainted from the pain.
I have a compression bandage and a Elbow strap but everytime I put the
Elbow strap on it hurts more.
Ibuprofen seems to help and I have been icing and deep heating.
I hope its not going to stop me playing golf completely as my season is
chocoblock.
I think im just going to have to play only and not practice.
I also have tinglings in my fingers.
Any thoughts on the treatment,thx.
I know a thread has been done a few times but mine might be different.
The pain is right on the Elbow knuckle on the inside of the arm.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been struggling with it for a few months, I thought it had cleared up in December but I played too much and it's worse than ever now.
My plan is to not play for the whole of March to see if it improves, just work on my putting and chipping instead.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got diagnosed this over 30 years ago but was only a fair weather hacker anyway so just stopped playing.
Doc said it would clear a bit would take a long time.
Seemed to be around 5 or more years befor it seemed ok but never got rid of the slight tingling in my ring finger and small finger.
Anyway - took early retirement a few months ago and have taken up golf more seriously now, playing 3 to 4 round a week.
The pain had come back with a vengeance now and I take ibrobrufen before playing.
Strangely I don't suffer too much during play but that's probably down to me being preoccupied with the golf but I find it's really painful later and during the night.
I got the impression from the doctor that I might just have to live with it but that was then so might try again and see what he says.

I'll be watching this thread with interest to see how you get on and others sufferers take one this and their experiences.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes - inside of elbow is golfers elbow and something I've had to manage for a few years. The one thing that got closest to clearing it up altogether was a very deep massge with an osteopath. So deep that for about 3 days I couldn't bear to touch my forearm or inside of elbow at all BUT a week later was finally pain-free. Stayed that way for some time BUT regular bicep curls and chin ups will set it off quite quickly (left arm in my case). So I adapt (hammer grip) and also wear an elasticated support when doing anything that irritates it (said weights and press ups). Overall it stays fine through golf unless I hit too much on hard mats trying to compress the ball.

Voltarol is very good for it as it's topical so worth getting some to calm the inflammation down. RICE - you know the drill but just in case (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).

Sounds like you've really aggravated the tendon so it will take some time and rest to settle down - I'd recommend the massage if you can find someone who knows their stuff. The osteopath I see is based at a golf club and her thesis was on golf injuries.

Good luck and heal fast.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
done after the ice treatment has been applied & the inflammation has decreased so the area around the ulnar nerve (near the top & bottom of the elbow on the inside of the arm) is less painful, but you need to avoid this small area.

important the cross fiber stimulation done after the linear massage -pressure up length of the arm on the flexor group of muscles group just away from the elbow so on the bottom part of inside of the forearm. if really painful attempting this, stop, re apply an ice compress & give it some time then try again.

[video=youtube_share;u4zMtKHxrRE]http://youtu.be/u4zMtKHxrRE[/video]

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might be worth dropping Bluewolf a pm, he's had a nightmare time of it with an elbow injury the last couple of years.

He could share any hints/tips/exercises etc.

Hope it's on the mend soon, worth having a break as bluewolf tried to play through it and missed pretty much 2 seasons :thup:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys will try them all.
Cant only rest from week to week atm but may have April and May off
completely depending on severity.
Sitting here feeling sick from the dull aching pain.
Nevermind plenty worse off.

D

Deleted member 15344

Gutting to hear that Tony - hope it heal soon

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
According to Google I have Golfers Elbow.
I have had it about a month,i believe I got it through bench pressing
and a lot of golf practice.
Talk about bad timing just as my season is getting going.
I thought it would pass but this morning whilst shopping I nearly
fainted from the pain.
I have a compression bandage and a Elbow strap but everytime I put the
Elbow strap on it hurts more.
Ibuprofen seems to help and I have been icing and deep heating.
I hope its not going to stop me playing golf completely as my season is
chocoblock.
I think im just going to have to play only and not practice.
I also have tinglings in my fingers.
Any thoughts on the treatment,thx.
I know a thread has been done a few times but mine might be different.
The pain is right on the Elbow knuckle on the inside of the arm.

I replied to a recent thread on this problem.
It might not be what you will want to try but I have had operations on each of my elbows,right one in 1976 and on the left in1980.
Both were successful.Out of action for about 3 weeks each time.
Had previously had a lot of physio and also many cortisone jabs,only got very temporary relief.
Dewsweeper

ibsmith04

Club Champion
Visit site
I suffered from this last year, luckily for me it started after the season, in the middle of october. I didn't play golf for 5 weeks, rested for 1s week, then started on stretching excercises, then moved on to strengthening excercises after 2 weeks, then built it up from then. I now try not to play on two consecutive days, minimise mat work and have grapihite shafts in my irons.BUt I am playing3 tmes a week now, just hoping that it lasts thro the season.

I got most of my info from here
http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/2008/05/31/the-cure-for-golfers-elbow-medial-epicondylitis/

Best of luck with it.

cheers
Ian

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Currently have tennis elbow, had it since August and haven't played since. Having physio and stretching and I will be going out on the practice course today to play three holes to see what happens. Having a physical job means resting wasn't an option so to hopefully speed up the healing process golf had to stop. I got a lot of good advice from here, hopeyou feel better soon

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine is definitely less painful compared to last week, it was even hurting brushing my teeth last Saturday and keeping me awake at night which is when I drew a line under it. Like Mark I have quite a physical job at times so it's hard to rest it Mon-Fri but laying off weekend golf has certainly hekped a bit.
Been going bonkers with ice pack, Voltarol and an elbow/arm strap when I'm at home.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
All the replies have really helped and the internet is great for getting info.
Looks like im going to have to ease off a bit.
Hopefully it wont wreck my golfing exploits too much.