Golfer or Street Artist

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Saw Justin Thomas wearing a hoodie for a couple of days play at the weekend, comp still seemed to run ok (and obviously didn’t do his standard of play any harm)

If we take an individual & give him that hoodie, Van Rooyen’s elasticated joggers, Tigers ‘T’ shirts, Coetzee's neck/face mask thingy and Fowlers space boots… does he get to play a game at your place or fall foul of the dress code and have to resign himself to spray-painting the clubhouse wall?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a great question, had me chuckling. I would be pretty confident he would get a game at ours, we are fairly relaxed on that front. However, I could write a decent sized list of clubs that would turn that person away up here, no question.

I'm okay with the pushing of these boundaries. I'm in the camp of happy to remove many of the dress codes that clubs have.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One fine evening this summer I was playing the 17th which runs parallel to our 2nd.
I spotted four young lads who (I'm stereotyping here) looked like they had put the playstation controller and joints down, and ventured out to play tiger woods golf for real. Long hair, pony tails, Jean's and trainers. Like a golfing voyeur, I watched to see their newbie swings. I also seen them step aside and let a two ball through.

The world continued to turn and everyone went about their day.

D

Deleted member 15344

C442134F-DAEA-47B8-991A-D915C1A54F8C.jpeg

Was it this one ? Looks nice and yep no issues at our place and seen a few wearing them at a number of places - it’s a golf top

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pains me to say it but I suspect that he would be declined access to my course and, even if allowed on, I suspect he would get fed up of people coming over to advise of the purported breach of the dress code.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
View attachment 28390

Was it this one ? Looks nice and yep no issues at our place and seen a few wearing them at a number of places - it’s a golf top
How do you define a 'golf top'? When does a top become a golf top or another top remain just a top?

Many clubs would say no to a hoodie, not sure why but they would. Anyway, if a golf clothing company puts their name on a hoodie why does that make it acceptable when before it was unacceptable?

I'm all for it incidentally, although I don't know if I could carry it off :D. A hoodie doesn't bother me one bit but somehow a t shirt becomes acceptable if Tiger wears it and a hoodie is acceptable because Tony Finau, amongst others wears one.

I guess that this shows that ultimately dress codes will be broken by pro's and mfrs, not members at AGM's.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am sure there would be a contingent of our more senior members that would definitely suggest it isn't golf clothing and against the dress code. For me, it doesn't look too bad (not my cup of tea mind) but wouldn't have too much of a problem with it (other than being to much for my own conservative dress sense)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone actually got one of these hoodie golf jumpers?

Is the hood actually used or a fashion statement.

NB - I fully endorse the use of a hood during outdoors all weather sports.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I have the new Galvin Green hoodie
worn it twice, nobody died.
All be it hood down, now its getting colder I may be a rebel and pop the hood up

https://www.galvingreen.com/products/dolph/dolph-g794372
I have it in the sharkskin ( grey colour) its very warm

As you say, no one died.... and we survived the demise of tweed jackets and collar/tie too!! Looks decent.... have you swung a club with the hood up? How was it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our dress code is simple in one respect - if it is designed for golfers to wear and is sold in golf shops then it is acceptable.

One of my playing mates regularly plays in a hoodie and my 'golfing' waterproof jacket has a foldaway hood which gets use from time to time.