Golf with professional footballers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry Imurg but to think its purely ingrained in football is a very simplistic view of modern professional sport, regardless of what that may be. I think that therefore taints any view that suggests modern footballers playing golf are programmed to cheat. I've watched a lot of footballers in pro-ams and all v have seemed to behave impeccably and played within the rules

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Jeez....this thread is about golf playing footballers
I've never said cheating is confined to football just that this thread is about football.

Forget football - I obviously don't know enough about it to comment or take part in any thread to do with football....
Works for me

D

Deleted member 15344

I've never said cheating is confined to football just that this thread is about football.

Forget football - I obviously don't know enough about it to comment or take part in any thread to do with football....
Works for me

I think going by your posts on football you do look down on the sport a lot - you have said a number of times “had enough of the sport” or words to that affect so i suspect you have a low opinion of footballers which is IMO unfair to label all of them the same and even more so to suggest it’s ingrained so they will “cheat” at other sports

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Works for me

😂😂
You might want to cancel any plans for the evening.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Works for me
Sorry Ian, my post may have come across as a bit harsh. No offence meant but the various posts did imply an ingrained culture of cheating in football and that it seems possible to filter through to their golf. I think the two aren't intrinsically linked certainly from my first hand experiences watching them play golf

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it’s about context. Trying to gain advantage in football runs right through the game, even down to amateur level. Some of us will have shouted for a corner or throw-in even though we got a knick. But we wouldn’t dream of pinching an inch in golf - it isn’t in our psyche.

I would expect the same to apply with pro footballers.

Well said.

One game being refereed by a neutral and the other being self-refereed also makes a difference, I think. The shame and long term loss of face in golf would also be another big reason. In amateur football, by the time you've got the boozer, would be forgotten about.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
Cheating unfortunately happens in many pro sports, diving in football, how many batsmen "walk" when they know they have edged it.The rewards are so great it has created a different mentality.
The self regulation in golf sets the sport apart - i, like most people, would rather finish last than win by cheating, and wont be alone in having called a penalty upon myself when unsure whether i had double hit a shot.
The fear of the stigma of being caught cheating is also a sufficient deterrent -we have all heard stories of people being kicked out of clubs after being caught using the leather wedge in comps.
We all want to win things and play off the lowest h/cap - but also want to be able to look folk in the eye with a clear conscience.

Rich

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's an interesting question posed by the OP. A Cardiff defender took his shirt off yesterday after scoring, there are pictures showing him doing it. When asked by the referee if he had he said no. Does make you wonder if they think it's ok to cheat in one sport then why not in another.
I really thought you were going to end that by asking "If he takes his shirt off on the football pitch, who's to say he won't rip his shirt off on the golf course as well??" :ROFLMAO:

Visit site
I once had the pleasure of playing with Alec Chamberlain (ex Watford Goalkeeper) in a Charity match at Wellingborough . You could not wish to play alongside a more affable and decent character. I doubt Alec has ever done a dishonest act in his life. What a nice man.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
According to GM, Harry Kane is a 4 handicapper and refently shot his 1st sub par round, I doubt that he'd ever contemplate cheating

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Chiang Mai, Thailand and anywhere there is H2O
Visit site
I genuinely believe it’s simply lazy to jump on football everytime there is an incident which makes the news.
Sterling didn’t cheat, the officials got it wrong and yes I’m sure it would be wonderful to see the players tell them or miss the penalty, but that’s not the real world.
Do we question the integrity of Rugby players? Drugs, fighting, bloodgate anyone?
Cricket, Ball tampering, dodgy appeals, fighting in the streets?
Cycling, Drugs, elelectric bike?
Athletics............
The list’s go on and on.
No football isn’t perfect just like lots of sports, but to start questioning the integrity of those that play it off the pitch says more about the person asking the question.
If only every other sport was devoid of accusations of cheating like Golf is, oh wait a minute! :unsure: