Golf with professional footballers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Football certainly changes people. I have seen regular people who are polite, don't swear etc change into foul mouthed, abusive, slightly out of control individuals when in a ground. I've seen the same people watch rugby matches and the same transformation does not happen.

I understand why the question was asked, would people who are serial cheats suddenly become upstanding sportsmen?, but for whatever psychological reason it does seem to happen.

D

Deleted member 16999

Football certainly changes people. I have seen regular people who are polite, don't swear etc change into foul mouthed, abusive, slightly out of control individuals when in a ground. I've seen the same people watch rugby matches and the same transformation does not happen.

I understand why the question was asked, would people who are serial cheats suddenly become upstanding sportsmen?, but for whatever psychological reason it does seem to happen.
You’ve lost me:unsure: Are you agreeing Premier League footballers are more likely to cheat on a golf course?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having read in the paper today about the football incident in which Raheem Stirling stubbed his toe and fell over in the penalty area, and had a penalty subsequently awarded, I have often wondered if professional footballers cheat when they play golf.

I understand a lot of them play golf, after training, on tour etc and there are also charity golf days which involve professional footballers. What I see and read about is that footballers have a totally different mindset in playing their game compared to golfers. Are they able to switch their cheating mentality on and off, or is it ingrained ?

Has anyone any experience of playing golf with a professional footballer ?

How did he cheat?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You’ve lost me:unsure: Are you agreeing Premier League footballers are more likely to cheat on a golf course?

No, not at all. I am saying that I understand why the question was asked. I am also pointing out that behaviour in around football changes people, often for the worse.

Take them, footballers and fans, out of that environment and they become normal again :D. It is almost like a switch is flicked

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a daft thread. Trolltastic, one might say.

You obviously can’t tar all people who undertake a particular activity, or have a particular interest with the same brush.

Inevitably, across the whole population there are people that, when it comes to competition, will seek to cheat, or take every possible advantage available whether morally right, and there are people that would never dream of it.

Within any profession, there will be people that cross the whole of that spectrum.

It’s clearly nonsense to suggest all footballers are cheats. Like it would be nonsense to say that a Priest would never cheat. People are people.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dunno, but I reckon if Ramos ever takes the game up, the first wedge he'll buy will be leather.

** Arent I supposed to say that as a Liverpool fan? ;)

They were/are professional footballers, not professional golfers. If some of them do cheat, I would expect it to be similar in percentage to "ordinary" golfers.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's an interesting question posed by the OP. A Cardiff defender took his shirt off yesterday after scoring, there are pictures showing him doing it. When asked by the referee if he had he said no. Does make you wonder if they think it's ok to cheat in one sport then why not in another.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Leaving the Sterling incident to one side (as it was the officials who got it wrong), there is, I'm sure everyone will agree, a vast amount of cheating that goes on in football.
Diving being the obvious one, feigning injury another.
I doubt a week goes by when someone doesn't get a card for doing a Tom Daley.
If you class cheating as deliberately breaking the rules with a view to gaining an advantage then footballers must be close to the top of the list.
The question is whether that moral attitude works it's way over to golf when they play.
I'd like to think not but there's a lot of truth to the "once a cheat always a cheat" saying.
Leopards don't change their spots etc etc etc.
Cheating is almost in the Psyche of footballers these days. It must be hard to get out of the habit.
I'm not saying they do cheat, of course I'm not, but it would always be in the back of my mind.

D

Deleted member 18588

Why is it assumed that footballers are more prone to "cheating"?

Stuart Broad is a very keen golfer, has a sponsorship deal with The Belfry, but should we be questioning his honesty on the course?

After all he hit the case off one against Australia but continued to bat on when the umpire didn't give him out. And yes, he admitted he "got away with one".

But, apparently it's only footballers whose integrity is doubted.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think it’s about context. Trying to gain advantage in football runs right through the game, even down to amateur level. Some of us will have shouted for a corner or throw-in even though we got a knick. But we wouldn’t dream of pinching an inch in golf - it isn’t in our psyche.

I would expect the same to apply with pro footballers.

D

Deleted member 16999

Leaving the Sterling incident to one side (as it was the officials who got it wrong), there is, I'm sure everyone will agree, a vast amount of cheating that goes on in football.
If you class cheating as deliberately breaking the rules with a view to gaining an advantage then footballers must be close to the top of the list.
The question is whether that moral attitude works it's way over to golf when they play.
I'd like to think not but there's a lot of truth to the "once a cheat always a cheat" saying.
Cheating is almost in the Psyche of footballers these days. It must be hard to get out of the habit.
I'm not saying they do cheat, of course I'm not, but it would always be in the back of my mind.
For someone who is normally very level headed and sensible, (unlike me :)) this post is garbage.

D

Deleted member 15344

No different to any sport and any sportsman trying to claim stuff

Just look at the drop that happened yesterday in golf

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
2 points.

1 is that football does have a culture where this kind of thing is acceptable and indeed for some, part of the game in trying to take every possible advantage. It's unfortunate that the governing bodies have not taken more action to kerb it - but it seems that if it is your guy that wins the penalty or gets an opposition player sent off in a big match, football fans in general, can live with that.

2 is that I think the guys who reckon golf is whiter than white are probably a bit naive. Id be amazed if there aren't a few guys going round at each club who are maybe circumventing the odd rule to get an advantage, manage their handicap, or just kid themselves on that they are better than they think. In many cases, they will be able to claim the 'daft wee laddie' if they are challenged. 'Someone told me that was a free drop there' or 'I had to move it to identify it' etc etc.

I once played with a guy who hit his second shot OB, then played again onto the green and 2 putted. He convinced me it was a 5 to the point where I doubted myself. I was fairly inexperienced at the time and in the end I said, we'll go in after the round and check it with the pro. Obviously it was a 6. The guy had been playing golf for probably 30 years and clearly knew what the rule was but would obviously have taken it had I written down 5 and moved on.

One of the reasons why fully balloted medals are a good thing, as it prevents the odd occasion where a few guys would play together and might just mark their mates card favourably.

D

Deleted member 16999

Which part?
Are you saying footballers don't cheat in games?
Genuinely? The whole post, every sport has cheats (unfortunately) it’s the high profile and popularity of football that can be a double edge sword.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Genuinely? The whole post, every sport has cheats (unfortunately) it’s the high profile and popularity of football that can be a double edge sword.
Clue is in the thread title.....it mentions football. No other sport. So no other sport is relevant to the thread.
Don't see the problem....

D

Deleted member 16999

Clue is in the thread title.....it mentions football. No other sport. So no other sport is relevant to the thread.
Don't see the problem....
Because you don’t actually answer the points/questions he raises, ie, is it ingrained in professional footballers, has anyone any experience of playing with professional footballers, he’s not asked what problems does football have!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a bit of a silly viewpoint IMO. Cheating is ingrained in football not footballers. Most are probably decent fellas. Bending the rules is rife in all sports with a referee, football just gets a bad rep. I have no issue in trusting the amateur players @ our place, seems silly suggesting it. Different sport, different context