Golf vs Football

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Scenario:
It's Wednesday 11th July, you missed out on Golf last weekend due to family birthdays and you are not sure if you will be able to get out next weekend due to more family birthdays.
You also only really get to the chance to play Golf at the weekend as you tend to get home too late (circa 7.30-8pm) to be able to play much during the week but you will be let out of work a little earlier on Wednesday because a certain match is on.

Do you go home and watch the game or go to your golf club knowing that it will be completely empty and you will be playing Millionaires Golf.

I know what I will be doing but just interested in what others would do when faced with this.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scenario:
It's Wednesday 11th July, you missed out on Golf last weekend due to family birthdays and you are not sure if you will be able to get out next weekend due to more family birthdays.
You also only really get to the chance to play Golf at the weekend as you tend to get home too late (circa 7.30-8pm) to be able to play much during the week but you will be let out of work a little earlier on Wednesday because a certain match is on.

Do you go home and watch the game or go to your golf club knowing that it will be completely empty and you will be playing Millionaires Golf.

I know what I will be doing but just interested in what others would do when faced with this.

On Saturday, I played golf and while walking round the course I watched most of the game on my iPhone using the BBC's live coverage. Perfection.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
No brainier for me, you can always play the following week but you won’t get a chance to see England in a WC semi final for another 4 years, if ever again. Proper once in a generation stuff.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Football. There is always a game of golf available to play. I'm 48 and this is only the 2nd time in my lifetime this has happened, it may not again whilst I am alive, gulp.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this a joke? Obviously you watch England's World Cup semi-final. Why would you even consider doing anything else??

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
You go and have a game of golf, course to yourself, drop a few balls and practice the shots from the holes you have issues with.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two weeks ago I arranged my 2nd round Titleist match play KO. We start at 17:30 on Wednesday. If England win I can watch the highlights, if they lose I haven't wasted 2 hours of my life.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club is in a league, matches are on a Wednesday night. All the matches are played at the same time each week, no team can re-arrange. You either play or you forfeit. Any re-arrangement has to be done with the agreement of all teams. The league sec put out an email on Sunday asking if all teams would be prepared to re-arrange. The replies were very funny, all along the lines of which (fill in expletive) wants to play then? Have the points, they are all yours.

Funnily enough, all of the teams agreed to re-arrange :D

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d play golf, I don’t like football.

I did till around 15 years ago, then I realised it’s a load of ****.
Not the game itself but the fact you don’t support teams, you support brands.
There’s only one winner in the World Cup, and that’s FIFA.

And another thing, has England paid for this progress? They’ve not played a real team yet!

It’s like giving a 5 handicapper an extra 10 shots in a medal in comparison!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our Club has just decided to postpone our club championships after England's win.
It was due to be played on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 1740

i'm playing West Lancs at 5:30, i have very little interest in England.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Given that the last time I saw England in a World Cup final was 1966 I figure that I'd scrub out of any golf game if there was an opportunity to see them get to another final. If they do manage to win there is nothing in the world that will stop me from watching the final - nothing!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I could have this dilemma on Sunday if England get thru the semis. There's 8 of us going up to Southport for the boys annual golf holiday, we have a tee booked at S&A for 1 o'clock... 3 hours before kick off. We're going to arrive early to see if we can get off at 12, if not, come in at 3 and try and get back out after the match.