Golf super league

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s going to keep happening to many sports - billions get offered and people will sign up. Just look at how much Woods and Mickleson earned from those matches. This time it’s Saudi Arabia who are offering the money , more sportswashing , add it to the boxing they are getting by offering huge amounts of money.

Don’t see it ending with NBA , NFL ,T20 matches etc will be played over there soon enough

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don’t see super league happening anytime soon nor would I want it. Interesting if it could put pressure on governing bodies to make game more global e.g. one major shifted and a wgc.

sunshine

Visit site
Fair play to Rory for calling it out as a money grab.

I find it very sad how many sports are selling their soul to the middle east sportswashing.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fair play to Rory for calling it out as a money grab.

I find it very sad how many sports are selling their soul to the middle east sportswashing.
Where there's brass, there's muck (and mucky people).
People forget that the pga tour was a money grabbing breakaway from the U.S. PGA circuit a few moons ago, so Rory could spare us the sermonising.
Maybe the best approach would be to prove the concept of team based golf with players who genuinely need the money (aus/sa/euros) and they might find that the big stars find it hard to stay away from the dosh once the shame of being part of the initial breakaway is removed.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Would agree, the PGA tour, a non profit organisation who pay cheif execs millions, have the most obscene newly built headquarters and nearly three quarters of a billion in the bank.

The recent annual $40 million social media money is equavalent to the total prize funds of 3 majors, so the PGA tour are no better than Devil you know...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where there's brass, there's muck (and mucky people).
People forget that the pga tour was a money grabbing breakaway from the U.S. PGA circuit a few moons ago, so Rory could spare us the sermonising.
Maybe the best approach would be to prove the concept of team based golf with players who genuinely need the money (aus/sa/euros) and they might find that the big stars find it hard to stay away from the dosh once the shame of being part of the initial breakaway is removed.

Rory is not sermonising. The PGA Tour broke away from the PGA of America long before he was even born.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Would agree, the PGA tour, a non profit organisation who pay cheif execs millions, have the most obscene newly built headquarters and nearly three quarters of a billion in the bank.

The recent annual $40 million social media money is equavalent to the total prize funds of 3 majors, so the PGA tour are no better than Devil you know...
Now don't get me wrong, I am sure that the PGA Tour aren't whiter than white, and certainly the USA is far from perfect. But Saudi... I completely get why players take the huge sums of money they offer and then dance to their tune, but it is a pretty horrid country.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rory is not sermonising. The PGA Tour broke away from the PGA of America long before he was even born.
Why is that relevant? Professional athletes have changed allegiance since time immemorial to chase cash. It's what they do.
It's what Rory has done.
It's what the people who set up the organisation he is now a member did.
Now I don't have a problem with this at all, but trying to occupy some sort of moral high ground is pretty rich.

D

Deleted member 15344

So a week after the ESL is shot down in flames because it’s nothing but money grabbing - Rory shoots down the golf version calling it money grabbing and doesnt interest him because he wants the majors etc and yet he is critisized for that ?!

He left to go to the PGA tour because whether we like it or not it’s where 99% of the strongest fields are , it’s where the ranking points are that help you get into the big events

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why is that relevant? Professional athletes have changed allegiance since time immemorial to chase cash. It's what they do.
It's what Rory has done.
It's what the people who set up the organisation he is now a member did.
Now I don't have a problem with this at all, but trying to occupy some sort of moral high ground is pretty rich.

You mentioned the history of the PGA Tour breaking away as if it is somehow relevant. It isn't.

Nor is Rory trying to occupy some sort of moral high ground. He is simply saying that he is happy enough, and doing well enough, where he is, and also that the Saudi angle is a bit dodgy.

After turning pro and establishing himself, Rory joined the existing established leading golf tour, as befitted someone of his ability. I don't see why that prohibits him from expressing a point of view about the proposed new tour, or why he should get criticised for doing so. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Now don't get me wrong, I am sure that the PGA Tour aren't whiter than white, and certainly the USA is far from perfect. But Saudi... I completely get why players take the huge sums of money they offer and then dance to their tune, but it is a pretty horrid country.

A good point well made.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I’m struggling to see past a handful of 40-somethings being interested in this and therefore not really interesting anyone else. Nobody really gives a hoot about WGCs or Rolex events or any other big money TV showdown