Golf Society Day Recommendations

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Hi All,

I'm a long-time reader of the forum and a first-time poster.

I recently began putting together a golf society with a few friends and their networks. I was hoping to host a society day in November and I was wondering if anyone had any particularly good society day experiences with golf clubs surrounding London? Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Cheers!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Crikey lots! Some thoughts based on the quality of the course and the quality of hospitality! You don’t say if any side of London is preferred, or budget… Also, haven’t listed the obvious big names… unless you want them!

Beaconsfield, Guildford, Effingham, Burnham Beeches, West Surrey, just for starters.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Thanks, Ian! Sorry, my post was relatively vague - I moved over from the United States not too long ago, so I'm not too familiar with all the courses - most of my local course knowledge comes from reading the posts on this forum, lol.

My friends and their mates are all scattered throughout London and the home counties, so a particular direction isn't too important (half will have to travel regardless of which area we choose). I was hoping to find a package for £100 pp or less (but the cheaper the better, to keep people interested!) - I'm thinking this shouldn't be too hard in November. Would be interested in a course that can handle winter conditions and a club that you know of that provides good after-play hospitality (if you know any!)

Thanks again for your response!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If its November avoid anything on clay if you can, ideally look for a heathland course or one on chalk (easier said than done close to London without being over budget for some of the bigger Surrey courses). Further south you get some good chalk based options on the downs

Tadmarton Heath in Oxfordshire is always a decent winter option and foods usually excellent too (i think a few played there recently so could advise on current condition etc)

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Both Tadmarton Heath and Guildford GC look like good options but it seems like Guildford will be a bit more accessible for most of our crew. Is anyone aware of Royal Mid-Surrey's condition during winter? This also seems a viable option in terms of transport links, but from what I can tell it might be a parkland course.

Cheers again!

D

Deleted member 23344

I played the Royal Mid-Surrey recently. Don’t know how it is in the winter, but the rough is punitive. Not a course recommended for a Society if a number of the members are high handicappers or novices.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Guildford GC is on the the chalk Downs, dry as a bone underfoot in the winter.

Burnham is also good in the winter. Others will have more recent experience.
I was also going to suggest Guildford, it’s about 10 mins from Junction 10 on the M25 and holds up really well whatever the weather.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
I was also going to suggest Guildford, it’s about 10 mins from Junction 10 on the M25 and holds up really well whatever the weather.

Thanks, Blakey,

At present, I'm looking at Guildford GC and West Hill (if we can get the 20 min they need for their November deal, it's not a bad price).

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks, Blakey,

At present, I'm looking at Guildford GC and West Hill (if we can get the 20 min they need for their November deal, it's not a bad price).
Definitely West Hill. Playing off the yellow you should all be ok.(y) My society play there every year in November and we have some right hackers.:eek:

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Great to hear everyone's thoughts on West Hill - I'm hoping I can get the numbers. As I'm sure everyone who has done a society day in the past knows, people can be rather noncommital.