Golf Sixes

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

So sat watching the 6’s and a few things occurred to me

First is it bad that no one on here has even mentioned it ? All these formats being tried etc and it appears people don’t seem to either know about it or care about it

Secondly you can see they are searching for that T20 version but it’s stupidly awful , I mean really bad - the production , the things they are trying , the music blaring out , disturbing the players when they are looking at shots

It looks from the telly coverage that the crowds are very sparse despite the very cheap tickets.

For me it looks like it’s fell flat on it’s backside - with the music blaring and the “hit the ball through a hole in a board “ - all they are missing are the fairground rides to win a rubber duck.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It’s obviously aimed at non golfers in an attempt to get younger people into the sport. Or to attract back people who have left,
And you have to applaud them for doing something.

Crowds do look sparse, I’d very much like it work, but it’s not quite doing it

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s obviously aimed at non golfers in an attempt to get younger people into the sport. Or to attract back people who have left,
And you have to applaud them for doing something.

Crowds do look sparse, I’d very much like it work, but it’s not quite doing it

What exactly are they trying to do though ? Golf doesn’t need new formats, all this stuff we are seeing won’t imo attract or get young people into the sport - why would it

Imagine a young kid taking an interest and going up to someone and saying - “ I wouldn’t mind have a go here - how do I do it “ - well young man first you need to join the club because we don’t allow anyone to play here - now to join the club you are going to have to give us a lot of money first and then you are going to have to buy all your equipment , you need to make sure you buy the right shoes etc etc”

Hosting events at the most exclusive golf clubs in the country won’t attract them - what will attract them is things like Golf Girl Rocks and Golf in Schools partnerships with Golf Clubs - if the EGU , ET etc but their weight behind those schemes then they will produce far better results than that fairground on a very expensive exclusive golf club. Whilst the Centurion is a very nice club and course it’s also a symbol of the bad about golf.

There are loads of golf clubs and golf pros working constantly to try and get young players into the sport - they are the ones that need the support.

But ultimately the ET will go where the money is

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So sat watching the 6’s and a few things occurred to me

First is it bad that no one on here has even mentioned it ? All these formats being tried etc and it appears people don’t seem to either know about it or care about it

Secondly you can see they are searching for that T20 version but it’s stupidly awful , I mean really bad - the production , the things they are trying , the music blaring out , disturbing the players when they are looking at shots

It looks from the telly coverage that the crowds are very sparse despite the very cheap tickets.

For me it looks like it’s fell flat on it’s backside - with the music blaring and the “hit the ball through a hole in a board “ - all they are missing are the fairground rides to win a rubber duck.

Honestly does it matter. Those that have gone are enjoying it I expect, some people who are watching it will be enjoying it. Those that aren't can either switch over, switch off or use up valuable living time posting on here that it's not much cop. And whether they enjoyed it or not I expect every pro will say they had a great time and it's a fun format.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Yep Vern is one of the main w anchors.

Not sure what marketing they have done, I’d have sent a shedload of free tickets to every school in the area.
That would have got plenty of kids in and dragged a few adults along too.

Some decent golf being played, but must be hard to concentrate with all that noise around the players.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Imagine a young kid taking an interest and going up to someone and saying - “ I wouldn’t mind have a go here - how do I do it “ - well young man first you need to join the club because we don’t allow anyone to play here - now to join the club you are going to have to give us a lot of money first and then you are going to have to buy all your equipment , you need to make sure you buy the right shoes etc etc”

Hosting events at the most exclusive golf clubs in the country won’t attract them - what will attract them is things like Golf Girl Rocks and

There are loads of golf clubs and golf pros working constantly to try and get young players into the sport - they are the ones that need the support.

But ultimately the ET will go where the money is

A kid doesn't need a lot of money. I learned to play on local pay and plays and had regular lessons at a local range. I was given clubs to learn with and they were more than happy that I turned up in a pair of trainers and a tee shirt. When I wanted clubs, I got a half set. Again, I played regularly in trainers when I started on the muni

Golf Girl Rocks is an excellent scheme and much needed as it's hard to attract young females into the game and rightly or wrongly they seemed to be marginalised. I agree there are some good schemes about (my own club has a junior academy) but I'd argue these are primarily for kids already interested in golf and that in many cases one or both parents already play. The Golf Sixes is a but size format, ideal for TV viewing and will definitely pique interest in some non-golfers old and young alike. It needs the tour and TV to get right behind it and promote it so it becomes a stable feature. There is definitely a place in the game for this short format

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
The amount of kids/women there today was amazing. So good to see the ET getting kids involved with the side games going on etc. The chance to meet the players get memorabilia is great for them.

Tomorrow will be another lovely day too so will bring in more spectators. I don't know why the negatively surrounding it. Some people just don't like change or new things. You can't help that as that's just the way some people are. I for one find the format quite interesting, it'll be good to see it move on to another club next year to see how it runs there.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m recording the highlights to watch tomorrow. Saw a couple of clips on twitter which looked good moments with it being played in a fun spirit. Not calling for it every week, but no reason not to have the odd weekend different.

Given the regular complaints about not enough golf tournaments in the country etc, then surely that’s another added benefit

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yep Vern is one of the main w anchors.

Not sure what marketing they have done, I’d have sent a shedload of free tickets to every school in the area.
That would have got plenty of kids in and dragged a few adults along too.

Some decent golf being played, but must be hard to concentrate with all that noise around the players.

The place was full of school kids on Friday, pro-am day. There was also some kind of event going on for them all on the course, real 3rd iirc.

After hearing a couple of hundred kids screaming at them on the first tee yesterday, I mentioned to one player that I do not expect to hear complaints at Wentworth :) The response was simple, "The noise is not disturbing as it is constant, I just shut it out. The problem comes when it is unexpected, like a phone/camera or when there are only a few spectators". I am sure this is the response any of those taking part will come out with, after all, they do have a choice on whether to play or not.

D

Deleted member 16999

The place was full of school kids on Friday, pro-am day. There was also some kind of event going on for them all on the course, real 3rd iirc.

After hearing a couple of hundred kids screaming at them on the first tee yesterday, I mentioned to one player that I do not expect to hear complaints at Wentworth :) The response was simple, "The noise is not disturbing as it is constant, I just shut it out. The problem comes when it is unexpected, like a phone/camera or when there are only a few spectators". I am sure this is the response any of those taking part will come out with, after all, they do have a choice on whether to play or not.
I would say it’s correct, remember Bubba at Medinah followed by Poults, it’s the unexpected noise that is more annoying.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I went today, and took my daughter (who doesn't play).

We were both impressed. There were loads of families there. Hard to guess, but it seemed to be the majority of the attendees. Obviously the weather was great, which helped, but the whole thing was well done imho. I'm not a huge fan of such a short format, I thought the matches were over almost as soon as they had begun. However, my daughter enjoyed it as it finished before it had outstayed its welcome. Also, having 6 holes in quite a small area made it easy to get around and see a few groups.

Having the ladies teams was a real bonus. I think it really gave the girls present something to focus their loyalties on. We followed the GB girls against the saffers and they killed them. Charley Hull hit (I guess) a 2 or 3 iron from over 200yds to 2ft on one hole. It was one of the best shots we saw all day.

I guess it shows, that like a lot of sporting events, the live experience is completely different to the televised product.

As for comments about exclusive clubs etc, I don't think that any of the kids present had the faintest idea whether the course was posh or a muni. There was noone telling them what to do, and the staff and players were extremely welcoming to all. If I had been a kid, I would have come away thinking that golf looked a lot of fun and worth a try. At my(members) club, kids can play for pretty much nothing at all, and I'm sure that's the case in most of the country.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think the ET are trying to sell something that you can't buy, at least in that form.
It's like going to a car dealer, taking a test drive in a 1.1 poverty model but only being able to buy the V12 Supercharged one..
Little Johnny and Mary get taken to Golf6s and have a great time. Brilliant, nobody can argue with that.
It's Bank Holiday Monday and it's glorious weather. Johnny and Mary want to go and play Golf6s.......
Where do they go?
Where can they play it.
There are few short par 3 courses around that suit complete beginners or kids. And trying to go out on the local Muni front 9 isn't going to work.
It's all very well attracting kids to the game but you have to provide somewhere suitable for them to play.
I'd rather they spent the money that provided the Golf6s on building these short courses.
Having said all that, if the event has turned a few onto golf then it's only a good thing. I'm just not convinced its going to bring in people who want to play golf rather than Golf6s - a different game...

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Where do they go?
Where can they play it.

Golf is not for everyone and probably never will be, but luckily in this day and age it is less exclusive as far as your income is concerned. And the best way to get new people into the game is to get them to try it out themselves ... because we all know that your soul will be forever lost the first time you make solid contact with that ball. I don't think it matters much that the format of the Golf6s is different from that of "regular" golf. What is important is that it brings people out to the course who might otherwise not get into contact with it. And I don't think it is that difficult to find a place to start once you are interested. Especially in the UK. There are so many courses and driving ranges that offer free or very affordable taster sessions and Get-Into-Golf courses for different target groups, like for example women, kids or seniors.

DCB

Visit site
Watched it off and on during the weekend. It certainly seems to have something as the kids watching seemed to be having a ball. Good to see something a little different to try and bring folks out to see the game.