Golf prescription glasses

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi all. I seen an advert in this months GM for a company called Roger Pope and partners who have teamed up with Adidas to do prescription bespoke golf glasses. Has anyone used them? The thing is they are in London, I contacted them and they have given me details for potentially someone closer.

Bottom line is does anyone else play in these or Oakley glasses. I play with contacts in, but can also play without them in, but can't see the longer shots finish as clear. I tried playing in glasses with rims, but hated it. I only use glasses for golf, going the match and motorway driving, as my eyesight is generally ok. I sometimes forget to take my connys, or it takes 10 mins to get them in when your in a hurryso wondering about these.

Are there benefits to them? Did you like them, does it pick the ball out better etc. Any other recommendations, or manufacturers. I am in the westfield health plan and have 9 months worth of contacts lenses left over from this year, so they would just be next years entitlement to use up.

Glad of any feedback.

steviep

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wear lenses to play golf in, like you I don't like playing golf in glasses.

I'm a fan of Oakley sunglasses, worn them for years when skiing, mountain biking and playing golf. I find that when I wear them on the golf course on bright days it is easier to pick the ball flight up especially when playing towards the sun, and I can see the undulations on the greens better. Doesn't necessarily mean I can putt better though.

I don't think I would have prescription ones made up though as I don't have any real problems wearing contact lenses, plus if your prescription changes you don't have to change the lenses in your sunglasses.

Naybrains

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Coincidently Im heading into Vision Express to pick prescription Oakleys next week. The only drawback is I cant get the half flaks (which I currently wear with connys) etc in prescription's due to the type of lense I require. Saying that there's still some beauty's to choose from, as long as they have full frames I can have them.
They dont come cheap, roughly the price of the normal pair plus the same again for the lenses fitted.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think my entitlement for a year on the optical is £180 or £220. I usually but glasses one year, connys the other at the moment,but just considering this option.

Mizuno - I checked out the website and it said that it was no longer economical for them to do in prescription, but that may change. I've e-mailed them to ask anyway.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Actually just had their reply:-

We do not have distribution in the U.K. currently, but we can take care your requirements directly. First, we will need to evaluate your vision prescription to determine whether we can produce PEAKS Rx for you. The following frame styles are the most popular styles for most prescriptions:

MODEL PRICE
GS4 $429 http://www.peakvisionsports.com/shop/browse?scid=5&mid=27&category_id=5
LX1 $449 http://www.peakvisionsports.com/shop/browse?scid=5&mid=26&category_id=5
SD7 $489 http://www.peakvisionsports.com/shop/browse?scid=5&mid=14&category_id=5
TR8 $489 http://www.peakvisionsports.com/shop/browse?scid=5&mid=22&category_id=5
ZK1 $559 http://www.peakvisionsports.com/shop/browse?scid=5&mid=25&category_id=5

Should you wish to proceed, you can fax your prescription information to us at 913-317-40001. NOTE: You will need to include your Pupilary Distance, or PD Measurement also. You can also call us at 913-317-4000 to place your order or have additional questions answered.

We look forward to being of further service to you

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I wear varifocals and whilst I get on OK I do tend to lower my head too much (a fault soon corrected by my pro) but find it can come back as I try to retain focus looking down on the ball.

I have just ordered some single vision, reactive, rimless glasses so will let you know how I get on. I can read without glasses so will just need to lift them up to mark my card etc. I have worn contacts but they make reading hard and so would mean I would need to put on readers to see my GPS watch etc.

Anyway, i just wanted to pass on some advice from my optician when i said i was thinking about ordering some online prescription glasses for golf. She said don't, as they will not be fitted properly and even a couple mm out would hinder vision.Not sure how true that is but it made me think as Oakley's etc online are still pricey with even single vision lenses.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive a pair of Oakley's with prescription lenses. the cost a fair few quid mostly the lenses.

don't wear them that often TBH, not for golf anyway , got them orig for Cricket

D

Deleted member 21258

holy thread resurrection batman!!

Hate wearing glasses and hate them even more when playing golf especially if cold or raining, a right pain. Also the rims are a pain as the glass isn't in the vision. Thought a number of time about getting a big pair like dennis taylor used to have:)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
holy thread resurrection batman!!

Hate wearing glasses and hate them even more when playing golf especially if cold or raining, a right pain. Also the rims are a pain as the glass isn't in the vision. Thought a number of time about getting a big pair like dennis taylor used to have:)

I must admit, I was a bit of a sheep on this one, I copied someone.

Here's a picture of richart in his, a real trendsetter, that lad:-

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wear contact lens much the same as you golf and football, get mine through Tesco just about to order a pair of oakleys through there lens plan scheme £35 be rude not too!

I have some addias ones which are prescription to wear when I have lens in and there are quality.

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
I got some varifocals for the first time in March, I already used reading glasses but my distance vision started going in one of my eyes. I was wary about using them for golf but I thought I'd at least give it a go. They didn't affect my golf at all, in fact the first few times I wore them I felt I could really see the breaks in greens better than ever. A few months later I got prescription lenses in some sunglasses for the summer and as far as I'm concerned I've not looked back.

I notice that the YouTube 'stars' Crossfire and Finch both wear glasses while they're playing.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like the OP my eyesight is generally good and I only use glasses occasionally as mine is a very mild prescription. When I had my first eye test 2 years ago I was kind of hoping that using glasses would make a difference to my golf and I bought some Oakley prescription lenses to fit in my Fast Jackets. Unfortunately it just seemed to change my perception of how far away the ball was at address and I didn't find them comfortable to play in. It's a shame as I would like some help on seeing the ball in the distance on long shots. I am told that this change in perception is common for those not used to wearing glasses and it's something you don't get when wearing lenses. I have just had my reminder for my next eye test so I will go along and get some advice on lenses.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wear varifocals on a daily basis, but cannot wear them for golf. I have a pair of rimless single vision specs that I do wear and these are photo-sensitive. They are not golf specific, but work really well and act as sunglasses as well.