Golf Polo Shirts

Andre Linoge

Medal Winner
Visit site
I cannot be the only one who sweats in these ?
I understand they are supposed to be better at taking sweat away from the body than cotton, which just soaks up sweat.
But I swear I can have a nylon polo shirt on for 5 minutes and can feel myself starting to sweat in one.
There must be a better alternative out there than nylon polo shirts ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
None of my polo's are "nylon"
They are either plain cotton, or a mix of fabrics to create techincal fabric that works. These are mostly labelled "dri-fit", but I do wish they were real cool-max as all my cycling shirts all are.:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nylon? Aren't most of them polyester? My ones are anyway. The ones that are polyester with like 5% elastane are the best I reckon, although 100% polyester is fine.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All of my summer polos are cotton.

The polyester ones might wick away the sweat but I prefer not to sweat in the first place.

Bring back cheese cloth for better through ventilation.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All of my summer polos are cotton.

The polyester ones might wick away the sweat but I prefer not to sweat in the first place.

Bring back cheese cloth for better through ventilation.
I would argue that if its hot enough to sweat, you will regardless of the shirt worn. Its just the ability of that fabric to remove it from your body.
My collection of cycling shirts from my days mountain biking has coolmax shirts with different temperature ranges of operation. It taught me that an effective shirt can save you a lot of body stress and discomfort:)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would argue that if its hot enough to sweat, you will regardless of the shirt worn. Its just the ability of that fabric to remove it from your body.
My collection of cycling shirts from my days mountain biking has coolmax shirts with different temperature ranges of operation. It taught me that an effective shirt can save you a lot of body stress and discomfort:)

It's simple for me any sort of polyester shirt (or trousers) and I start to sweat virtually as soon as I put one on. Even when I wear shirts that are a cotton/polyester mix I notice the difference straight away.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What brands of shirt do you have, I have puma, under armour and nike - no issues with sweat.

Visit site
I recently invested in various dry fibre polos (Puma, Ping, Nike & Chervo) for the Italian summer

Road tested at Machrihanish a few weeks ago - can confirm they get wet in the rain ;)

I played in 40°C yesterday
1. Wore an ordinary polyester polo for warm up - absolutely drenched in sweat so then had a shower
2. Then donned a sky blue Chervo polo -- after 9-holes it still looked dry from the outside but t'was drenched inside

The thing is (major oversight) I had no change of boxers - dried them with a hairdryer (after stage 1 as above) before playing
Is there a best dry-fibre boxer brand the forum can recommend :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently invested in various dry fibre polos (Puma, Ping, Nike & Chervo) for the Italian summer

Road tested at Machrihanish a few weeks ago - can confirm they get wet in the rain ;)

I played in 40°C yesterday
1. Wore an ordinary polyester polo for warm up - absolutely drenched in sweat so then had a shower
2. Then donned a sky blue Chervo polo -- after 9-holes it still looked dry from the outside but t'was drenched inside

The thing is (major oversight) I had no change of boxers - dried them with a hairdryer (after stage 1 as above) before playing
Is there a best dry-fibre boxer brand the forum can recommend :unsure:
Wow. Sod that. I was slightly concerned about it being 30 tomorrow, but forget 40, I doubt I'd make it round!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to buy Ping or FJ shirts. I like the styles and feel but whether they make a difference to sweating (despite their blurb) I'm not sure and if you are playing in some of the hot temperatures this weekend or last summer then is there really anything that is going to make a difference

Andre Linoge

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think the Under Armour "Heatgear" range are excellent.... have you tried that? There is "nylon and nylon" I guess...... but modern stuff is nothing like the old stuff.

I know someone who hates man made fibres, but swears by mercerised cotton...
I will look these out, cheers.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I cannot be the only one who sweats in these ?
I understand they are supposed to be better at taking sweat away from the body than cotton, which just soaks up sweat.
But I swear I can have a nylon polo shirt on for 5 minutes and can feel myself starting to sweat in one.
There must be a better alternative out there than nylon polo shirts ?

For the love of God, long live cotton!
I can tolerate maybe 5% elastocene

As for pet golf trousers, I will never buy another pair as long as I live!