Golf Pass - Anyone taken it up?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Seeing a lot of Golf Pass ads on SKY at the moment, along with the short program with Rory and Di Dougherty promoting it repeatedly. Has anyone actually taken it up, and if so, is it any good?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
didn't know it was a thing, seen the odd thing on sky, which appeared to be lessons, just assumed it was some sort of ad sponsor or the like?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
didn't know it was a thing, seen the odd thing on sky, which appeared to be lessons, just assumed it was some sort of ad sponsor or the like?

Seems to be a hub of sorts, offering online content e.g. coaching, reviews, insights behind the player scenes etc. as well as online tee booking, travel and other bits. States access to over 4000+ online lessons with top tour coaches and such.

Have just seen it offers a free 7 day trial, so may give it a look, but was wondering if anyone has already given it a try for better or worse?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't really see the point, unless they had the rights to the golf.

At the moment, Sky are continuing as basically the only golf broadcaster in the UK and I believe are intending to keep doing this.

I guess at some point, most sports will become a streaming only and the way people interact with sports and crucially the way sports pick up new or casual viewers will have to change.

I feel there's been a real complacency in sports since the move to pay TV and PPV in the 90s. Sports and personalities could make millions off the back of a fan base built up largely through big audiences on terrestrial TV but with things no longer on terrestrial TV, it becomes much harder to pick up new fans.

I think boxing and golf have both been big sufferers in this regard. Once many British & International players in these sports would be household names with several big events on BBC and ITV throughout the year. It was not uncommon to see top golfers or boxers as guests on Saturday night chatshows.

Now these sports are all almost completely on pay TV, it is really only the very top achievers that get any coverage / comment on main channels and these sports rely largely on international audiences now with the UK very much a side market.

Would also be interesting to see the number of kids who would describe themselves as football fans, compared to in the 90s, never mind golf or boxing. My guess is a LOT less.