Golf on the Costa del Sol

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking at playing one of the La Cala courses in October this year with a few friends. From what I've read, Europa is the easiest which for a ranging group of handicappers, is probably most suitable. Is this the case, or, are Asia / America markedly better?

We're also planning to play Santana and Cabopino. Last year we played Marbella G&C, Santa Clara and Calanova and thus, were looking to try some different courses in the vicinity.

Any other recommendations would be much appreciated!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Stayed at La Cala a few years back and remember a few issues like tough terrain and lots of brambles to lose balls in. I can't actually remember which layout is which, none stuck me as harder/easier as a combination. (But that was a while ago so my memory is sketchy!)

I also remember long rounds waiting behind folk looking for balls in places you don't find balls! By the side of the road up the hill from the coast were lots of locals selling "pick ups" off the bonnets of their cars. Another indication of the likelihood of losing a few if you stray off line.

Visit site
I've used Sunshine Golf, and they were very good.
We play these courses every year, around end of October.
Santana is our favourite, followed by Mijas Lagos, Torrequegrada, El Chaparrall, Parador, Calanova, and Los Naranjos.
We (our group), don't rate any of the la Cala courses, though I personally don't mind any of them. We didn't rate Cabopino last time we played it.
We have also played Marbella Country club,(I really like this one), Guadahorce and El Paraiso.
The golf out there is amazing, though every year, I feel that we should spread our wings more.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going there the week after next. In the past we have either stayed at Fuengirola or Puerto Banus but this year we are going a bit further down and staying in Estepona. I would like to have played Valderrama and Sotogrande but cost has ruled them out. San Roque Old, Valle Romano, Estepona, Donna Julia and possibly La Reserva look to be the courses we will be playing, all of which are new to me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Going there the week after next. In the past we have either stayed at Fuengirola or Puerto Banus but this year we are going a bit further down and staying in Estepona. I would like to have played Valderrama and Sotogrande but cost has ruled them out. San Roque Old, Valle Romano, Estepona, Donna Julia and possibly La Reserva look to be the courses we will be playing, all of which are new to me.
We go to Estepona twice a year. Lovely town. Recommend you play two courses at Villa Padierna, which are about 20 minutes from Estepona heading back towards Puerto Banus. Course that goes out into mountains is a cracker. Can’t remember the name of it, but beside Michael Campbell academy.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A lot of good recommendations, we were out at La Cala in May and the course, bar and views were nice as usual. I think America is a bit easier than Europa, they are very playable but just a bit more likely to lose balls on certain holes if you miss the rough. No issues with the length of round, think it was 4 1/2 hrs. Buggies recommended as some long walks between holes but I've walked them all in the past.

El Chapparel has always been a favourite, Mijas courses are a bit flatter but more water - they close in May to refurb so expect they'll be nice now.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We go to Estepona twice a year. Lovely town. Recommend you play two courses at Villa Padierna, which are about 20 minutes from Estepona heading back towards Puerto Banus. Course that goes out into mountains is a cracker. Can’t remember the name of it, but beside Michael Campbell academy.
Just had a look at Villa Padierna as I had never heard of it. Looks like a rebranding of Flamingos old and new. You are spot on, they are a couple of cracking courses and we haven't played the old course yet so may give it a try this year.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick question - how much do people pay on average for say 3 rounds, 3/4 nights + flights?

We went last year for my 40th but my mates chipped in for me so not sure how much it cost.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't like Europa personally. America the better of the 3 courses from a playability stand-point, it's a fantastic course and my favourite of the 3 at La Cala and possibly my favourite on the whole Costa Del Sol.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quick question - how much do people pay on average for say 3 rounds, 3/4 nights + flights?

We went last year for my 40th but my mates chipped in for me so not sure how much it cost.

We go in May, tends to be about £250 for accommodation and golf, and £270 for flights with no check in apart from golf bag. Days of doing it cheap seem to be long gone

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yes, always get on the budget airlines email list and book the flights as soon as thy come out if possible.... makes massive difference. Eg we go to Algarve in Sept most years, flight released previous November. Paid under £50 per flight from Bristol to Faro. Same flight right now (just checked) £146

Appreciate that's not always possible, but well worth it, that's £400 saved. We then talk to the usual operators and say, flights booked, what deals on accommodation and golf have you got? :D