Golf In The North East - Dry Course

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Obviously all of us living in the NE know how much snow/rain we’ve had recently and it’s affected our courses, Seaham opened today for the first time in over a week, greens were good but fairways had a lot of standing water.

Anyway, went to Sharpley GC instead and apart from a bit of standing water behind the 11th it was bone dry, really surprised, fairways in great condition and greens not bad at all.

So if you’re fed up not playing, try Sharpley, 20 quid midweek, no idea of weekend rate

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best place to play at this time of year would be South Shields. With it being on limestone the drainage is superb, it's as dry as a bone with true rolling greens.
No doubt Maninblack will be along to confirm the same and what the green fees are for visitors.

D

Deleted member 16999

Best place to play at this time of year would be South Shields. With it being on limestone the drainage is superb, it's as dry as a bone with true rolling greens.
No doubt Maninblack will be along to confirm the same and what the green fees are for visitors.
Other dry courses are available mate :thup:
Seaton Carew, Hartlepool, Goswick etc, just letting folks know about Sharpley’s condition as it’s pay an play for 90% of the time

D

Deleted member 23270

You northern lads have certainly had it rough so far this winter. Roll on spring :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know people up our way tend to head to Alnmouth Village to guarantee a game as that is built on sand. They rely on bad winters to bring in the visitors green fees as they will be open when everyone else is closed, it is the go to place. They suffer money wise when the winters are dry.

Good shout for Sharpley as that will be pretty much the only one open that is not links. Remarkable place.

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve played Dunstanburgh in conditions that would have had Noah reaching for his saw !

That said it started flooding heavily a couple of years ago, rumour was that the greens keepers had fractured the aquifer digging re doing some maintenance.. I’d never seen it flood in 20 years prior to the works

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Sharpley is normally my go to course during the winter months ... must make a killing

Chester-Le-Street wasn't too bad 2 weeks ago but no idea how it's held up over the last week

Chaddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Warkworth is our go to in the winter, always dry enough bar a couple of patches on the 1st and 6th. On grass tees albeit some of them are winter tees and not in the best shape but the greens are really good and roll well all year round.

Honesty box and no need to book a tee time makes it good for just deciding on a day to have a drive up.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
i did indeed, love the course except 15

i hate 15

just seen all greens are open today hopefully the weather should decent tomorrow and I’ll get outnagain

Ha ha 15 is a beast, I usually play it as a par 5, no chance of reaching in 2 off the whites for me.
Went down for a bit of putting practice this afternoon, was talking to a couple of lads who thought the course was holding up quite well despite the weather we've had. He said 3 is fully open and will be a cracking hole when the proper tees are in play, 6 is looking immense as well with those new mounds and bunkers in 2nd shot range.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In the north-east of the UK you could try the likes of Dornoch, Nairn etc. ;-).

If you mean England then Goswick is a cracking course.