Golf in Portugal

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Heading to Portugal on Thursday for 5 nights to play golf. There are 8 of us and we have 4 rounds booked across Salgados, Alamos and Morgado courses with the second round on the same course included. We have a spare day on the Saturday and 4 of the group are planning on taking a day off the course (strange, i know). The remaining 4 of us want to go and play another course. Lots of good courses around but the thing we are struggling with is how to get to them. There are obvious solutions such as hiring a car or getting a taxi but does anyone know if any of the courses do transfers or any local companies which would provide transfers for a reasonable rate?

We are staying close to Salgados course and are contemplating going to Vale de Lobo or Palmares or even just staying on site and playing Salgados again as it obviously a cheaper and easier option but it would be good to go and experience a different course.

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would play Vale De Lobo ocean course if you’re close. There’s a great par 3 there. One of the best there is.

A few years back one of our group missed the transfer in the morning due us both getting it at 5am! I’m almost certain his taxi was 30 euros from memory from our hotel in Vilamoura to Vale De Lobo.

If there are four of you I can’t see it being more than 15 euros each return if you arrange a transfer. Have you contacted your holiday rep and asked if they can add on an extra round and transfers for the 4 of you? Could be cheaper that way.

There are 20 of us going away this year and some are playing 3 days, some 4 and half of us playing 5 rounds.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would play Vale De Lobo ocean course if you’re close. There’s a great par 3 there. One of the best there is.

A few years back one of our group missed the transfer in the morning due us both getting it at 5am! I’m almost certain his taxi was 30 euros from memory from our hotel in Vilamoura to Vale De Lobo.

If there are four of you I can’t see it being more than 15 euros each return if you arrange a transfer. Have you contacted your holiday rep and asked if they can add on an extra round and transfers for the 4 of you? Could be cheaper that way.

There are 20 of us going away this year and some are playing 3 days, some 4 and half of us playing 5 rounds.

Yeah we asked but he didn't really come back with much to be fair. Vale de Lobo is on the list and we estimated 40 euro each way for a taxi, my only concern was getting 4 of us in one car with golf bags. Would we then need 2 cars or a 7 seater which would push the cost up.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All depending on availability and budget....

Palmares is very good.... play the links 9 if you can
Ocean VdL is good, (better than it's sister course)
I really like Quinta do Lago... any of the 3!
San Lorenzo is best!

Played Palmares last year (twice) and it was fantastic. Would absolutely love to go back there as it is very good value. 75 euro each which includes a shared buggy. It is just quite far out of the way and not sure how much a taxi would be to get there from the Albufeira area.

Looking at the map, VDL and Quinta do Lago are the other side of Vilamoura, so looking at the taxi cost above our 40 euro estimate would be way out

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you're close to Salgados then the next closest courses are Faldo and O'Connor. Both quite pricey tho. Silves is quite close too and much cheaper.

We stay in Pera when we go (about 2km from Salgados). When we get taxis in the evenings there's no difference in price between normal cars and 7 seaters. Don't know about daytime golf transfers tho.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When you come back. You would be talking about Palmares a lot more than Vale de Lobo. Played all three and Palmares is fantastic. The bonus is the price. Some simply stunning holes and views.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Vale Do Lobos are overrated and that par3 is average at best.

Uber is in operation around vilamoura which is a great help as you can just book through the app.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks all.

Had a look at Uber and the price to Palmares is basically the same as the price to Vale De Lobo.

Faldo and OConnor as mentioned are the closest but their twilight doesnt start until 3pm whereas a lot of the other courses it is 2pm.

Think we are going to head to Palmares as two of us played it last year and it was spectacular