Golf in Ireland - Dual pricing for non Irish

Severof

Visit site
Currently in the North West and booking rounds as and when, and on a whim due to weather here at the moment. Today looks like a write off due to tail end of storm.
After researching, most courses offer at least half price if you are an Irish resident.
Just spoke with staff at Narin and Portnoo . They have open comps twice a week. Golf Ireland members to enter 50 Euros. Foreigners 250 Euros, (u get a free pint ! )
Off to play St Patrick's at Rosapenna tomorrow. 240 Euros. Irish Residents 80. (St Patrick's on the bucket list so biting the bullet ).
Not a moan, great they look after their own residents but could imagine the uproar by some, if something similar were to be implemented in UK.

Springveldt

Visit site
Currently in the North West and booking rounds as and when, and on a whim due to weather here at the moment. Today looks like a write off due to tail end of storm.
After researching, most courses offer at least half price if you are an Irish resident.
Just spoke with staff at Narin and Portnoo . They have open comps twice a week. Golf Ireland members to enter 50 Euros. Foreigners 250 Euros, (u get a free pint ! )
Off to play St Patrick's at Rosapenna tomorrow. 240 Euros. Irish Residents 80. (St Patrick's on the bucket list so biting the bullet ).
Not a moan, great they look after their own residents but could imagine the uproar by some, if something similar were to be implemented in UK.
Think this happens at some Scottish courses as well.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Happens in Scotland but not as common and very course specific. Dependent on club they sometimes offer local postcode rate, Scotland resident rate and UK resident rate. Just the same in England with county card I think.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Happens in Scotland but not as common and very course specific. Dependent on club they sometimes offer local postcode rate, Scotland resident rate and UK resident rate. Just the same in England with county card I think.
Not an English wide scheme unfortunately. In Northumberland, where I live, you have to be over 65 to get one ☹️

MACM85

Visit site
You could always do what I did. Sign up to a membership as a distant member at a club in Ireland to get a GUI number and then you qualify for the cheaper rates. Most of the guys I played with were oblivious that as a non resident or Golf Ireland member they wanted to charge me 2 or 3 times the rate they would pay

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
You could always do what I did. Sign up to a membership as a distant member at a club in Ireland to get a GUI number and then you qualify for the cheaper rates. Most of the guys I played with were oblivious that as a non resident or Golf Ireland member they wanted to charge me 2 or 3 times the rate they would pay
Any 'cheap' options you'd recommend for doing this? Would be worth a look to play in the Open Week at Royal County Down which is limited to GUI members.

Severof

Visit site
A bit late now. Bugger. Would have done this. Now here day 3 and clubs not even been outside of hotel due to one of their worse summers in 20 + yrs.
Typical.But 6 days left, so they will be out tomorrow, no matter what.

MACM85

Visit site
A bit late now. Bugger. Would have done this. Now here day 3 and clubs not even been outside of hotel due to one of their worse summers in 20 + yrs.
Typical.But 6 days left, so they will be out tomorrow, no matter what.

I was over there a couple of weeks ago. Had a nice couple of weeks. Played a few opens and didn't get wet once.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Any 'cheap' options you'd recommend for doing this? Would be worth a look to play in the Open Week at Royal County Down which is limited to GUI members.

This is a great little course. As you can see membership is small money and can be done online!

One word of warning I have heard of some bigger clubs asking also for proof of address such as scanned copy of drivers license, etc. So they may be aware of people trying the route of distance membership to get better rates.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Northumberland are in the minority. Over 18 for Cumbria and free
I know, it's rubbish. I see lots of comments on here about getting a county card, great way to get cheap golf etc but annoyingly it is not an option for those of us here, under 65 anyway.

It's why headline / published green fees do matter. There is not always a way around them.

Well done Cumbria though 👍

D-S

Visit site
I know, it's rubbish. I see lots of comments on here about getting a county card, great way to get cheap golf etc but annoyingly it is not an option for those of us here, under 65 anyway.

It's why headline / published green fees do matter. There is not always a way around them.

Well done Cumbria though 👍
Free in Gloucestershire too, although not really as it’s factored in to the affiliation fee. Can’t see why any County wouldn’t do this as it is a significant benefit to Club (and therefore County) membership.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Free in Gloucestershire too, although not really as it’s factored in to the affiliation fee. Can’t see why any County wouldn’t do this as it is a significant benefit to Club (and therefore County) membership.
Agree, be interesting in knowing why Northumberland limit it to over 65's.

What are the costs for the Counties. Ours have been free for years and there does not appear to be costs itemised on the Unions accounts.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hope you enjoyed St Patricks, shot 78 round it a couple of months back first time seeing it, lovely setting, even better condition and mild'ish winds on a clear day helped!

The whole cheaper for GUI card holders is a big plus for any club members on the entire island. Oddly a lot of folks from the US dont like playing on "cheap" courses so I guess this also makes them more appealing to visitors from across the pond. I have yet to see any complain about the price too yet you can go play decent courses in florida for less than $50 easily. I guess being from here spoils us a little and dont know what we have until others come over and give great feedback.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

What are the costs for the Counties. Ours have been free for years and there does not appear to be costs itemised on the Unions accounts.
Free here in Suffolk and you get reciprocal rights at courses in Essex and Norfolk.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Perhaps the courses there are already good value. Either that or because they want more tourists rather than locals.

The Lion

Visit site
We need a UK and Ireland-wide County Card. Hope to be having conversations on this and trying to start the ball rolling…